Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 22, 2008, 09:22 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Hardcore PC's Reactor (oil submersed)

Saw this over at Maximum PC and thought it would be a good read. Neat ideas with lots of cooling potential, more so if they can get a phase change in there. But in the end too proprietary, which might be OK for those that buy high end PC's and don't want to bother with the workings of it. But I like to tinker and oil would just make it messy and the proprietary stuff would just make it hard to upgrade, plus I don't have that kind of money for a PC just look at what I'm running now.

Exclusive: Oil Immersion Cooling Goes Mainstream with Hardcore PC's Reactor | Maximum PC
Old October 22, 2008, 10:01 AM
F@H

My System Specs

We'll have to see how well it actually cools, especially if they manage to integrate a peltier on it. One of the long standing issues with oil cooled rigs is that over time the oil tends to warm up and hold the heat but if the pre-release info they've got is correct it looks like they're trying to do something about that.

A lot will depend on what they mean by "proprietary"... can you swap out a CPU? How about memory????

I can't see an enthusiast going for something they can't change components on, and why would a non-enthusiast spend that kind of money to get to where the highest end available proc/vid would probably get them the same performance.....

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old October 22, 2008, 10:55 AM
Allstar

Looks like the CPU and memory are easy to swap, but components like GPUs are another matter.
1x 8800 Ultra --> Sony GDM-FW900 + LVM-37w3se // HT Omega Striker ~ (optical) Pioneer SE-DIR800C ~+ SE-DHP800 / HD 280 Pro
Old October 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
Allstar

hehehehehe TEC coolers generate moisture which in turn solidifies into water. I think if left for a month or two on my floor, it would look like layer gello with the oil on top, and sparks flying everywhere on the bottom LoL
Old October 22, 2008, 03:31 PM
Allstar

TEC coolers don't "generate moisture" the condense it from the surounding air. So in a water free environment like an oil bath, that problem can't exist.

Still not worth it IMHO, in my experience it isn't heat that usually limits the OC, but the components themselves. I have 2 cpus that never see 40* and I cant even get an average OC out of them, where others are getting 100%...
Old October 24, 2008, 07:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer
F@H

Very cool system. Interesting to see a company bring this to the mainstream. The proprietary nature of the system concerns me as well. I think a retail phase-change solution like a Vapo LS or a well designed watercooling system would be a better choice for an enthusiast.
Old July 27, 2009, 02:07 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I'm always impressed with those kind of computers :)
Old July 27, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

very cool, but as was stated at the end of the reveiw, bunch of theparts are proprietary so you can swap out broken peices nearly as easily. if they made this case like a regular case then it may get more popularity.

I'm sorry july, I couldn't see you behind all that feruary.
Old July 27, 2009, 04:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

been around a long time(oil cooling) and not worth it once all the oil heats up even with a great rad. ( this to me is the enzo Ferrari nice to look at but anyone who knows about cars no thank. p.s enzo,murchilego like to burn ha ha
for those that are into it Reactor
Old July 27, 2009, 10:46 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Even people who know anything about cars don't like driving Enzo's that much ;) finnicky pos's lol

anyways back on topic!
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in the immediately preceding post are those of encorp and do not reflect the views and/or opinions of family, friends, or anyone remotely associated with encorp unless explicitly stated. encorp does not make any warranty, express or implied, or assumes any liability or responsibility for the quality, factuality or use of information in the immediately preceding post.