Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Reviews & Articles from the Web

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 24, 2007, 08:11 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Microsoft Habu Gaming mouse review

TechGage reviews the Habu Gaming mouse- razer and microsoft got together to produce this good-quality, good-looking, customisable gaming peripheral.

The Habu's average retail price hovers around $55, so it's not exactly cheap. After using the mouse though, I am confident in recommending it to anyone who's looking for a new mouse or someone who's looking for something a little different. I've been used to using Logitech G mice for the past few years, so I found the Habu to be a refreshing change.
That said, I found the Habu to be an excellent gaming mouse, but I didn't enjoy it as much for desktop work. I deal a lot with Photoshop and have to be precise with a few photos I edit, and I just didn't find this mouse to be the best for that job, so I plan to switch between the Habu and G5 depending on what I need to do.

As it stands, this is a great product. It costs a little more than a few other mice on the market (but less on average than Razers own DeathAdder) and offers a lot to the consumer. How many mice allow you to alter your sensitivity on a per axis basis?
As for this being a Microsoft Habu, I am not sure just how much part they had in the design process seeing as Razers name is plastered everywhere, but the only fact that matters is that it's a product worthy of receiving a nine out of ten on our scale.
  • Pros
  • Well designed product, comfortable to use
  • Blue LEDs implemented well
  • Software offers much customization
  • Backed by Razer quality
  • Cons
  • Might not be perfect for desktop work
Read more at TechGage
Old April 24, 2007, 08:37 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I didn't see anywhere if this was a cordless model or not.
I have a logitech MX610 and its starting to go through a set of AAs every couple of weeks. I am thinking of going back to a corded mouse.
I had a MS mouse before and a feature I liked a lot was the "progressive scroll" for very fast, variable scroll speed.
Old April 24, 2007, 08:54 AM
Hall Of Fame

I see a cord on the pic!
- 16GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
- Ultra X3 1000 Watt
- Asus Xonar DX 7.1 \ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 THX
- Corsair Vengeance 1300 Gaming Headset
- Crucial M4 SSD 128GB \ WD Caviar Black 1TB
- CoolerMaster 690II Advanced
- Dell UltraSharp 24''
- Noctua NH-D14
Old April 24, 2007, 09:19 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

lol.. i see it now, after I turned up the smartn... er brightness :)
Old April 24, 2007, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah- it's corded- I'm going back to a corded mouse here soon- I trying to figure out which one to buy right now.
Old April 24, 2007, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

Which one are you using now? I use a G7 (Cordless) as my primary, which has never dropped out on me once. It uses rechargeable batteries that come with the mouse, so if that's your main concern, it's a good choice. Only downside is that the batteries need to be swapped near everyday, but you can just keep recharging them.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam
Old April 24, 2007, 01:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm using an ageing MX700 that has served me well enough for years- I'm not sure what's doing it now, but the signal seems to be weakening- getting missed stroked on both the keyboard and mouse- the mouse doesn't have enough resolution either.
I'll look at the G7- I don't mind the battery swapping- I have a charger right in front of me. Thanks for the recommend!
Old April 24, 2007, 01:59 PM
Top Prospect

Someone else I know actually had the same problem with their MX700 recently. I believe the G7 is essentially the same thing, just newer specs. I am sure it would wear down over time as well.

As for battery swapping, it's annoying after a while, but it takes only a few seconds to swap really. Still, it's great to be gaming with no loss of signal without a cord getting in the way.

One thing I've found also... is the battery will die quicker depending on your mousepad. Seems that my fUnc kills it quick, but I know someone else with a G7 and they use it for at least two full days before they need to swap.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 3.20GHz, ASUS P5K Premium WiFi-AP, OCZ 8GB PC2-6400, EVGA GTX 285 1024MB
Seagate 500GB, 750GB & 1TB, Pioneer 22x ODD, Corsair 1000HX, Thermalright Ultra-120, CM Storm Sniper
Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Ultrasone PRO 750, Gentoo Linux (KDE 4.4, 2.6.32 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Profiles: Last.fm | Xbox Live | Steam

Last edited by Deathspawner; April 24, 2007 at 02:02 PM.