Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Reviews & Articles from the Web (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/)
-   -   Microsoft Habu Gaming mouse review (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/reviews-articles-web/1018-microsoft-habu-gaming-mouse-review.html)

Babrbarossa April 24, 2007 08:11 AM

Microsoft Habu Gaming mouse review

TechGage reviews the Habu Gaming mouse- razer and microsoft got together to produce this good-quality, good-looking, customisable gaming peripheral.

The Habu's average retail price hovers around $55, so it's not exactly cheap. After using the mouse though, I am confident in recommending it to anyone who's looking for a new mouse or someone who's looking for something a little different. I've been used to using Logitech G mice for the past few years, so I found the Habu to be a refreshing change.
That said, I found the Habu to be an excellent gaming mouse, but I didn't enjoy it as much for desktop work. I deal a lot with Photoshop and have to be precise with a few photos I edit, and I just didn't find this mouse to be the best for that job, so I plan to switch between the Habu and G5 depending on what I need to do.

As it stands, this is a great product. It costs a little more than a few other mice on the market (but less on average than Razers own DeathAdder) and offers a lot to the consumer. How many mice allow you to alter your sensitivity on a per axis basis?
As for this being a Microsoft Habu, I am not sure just how much part they had in the design process seeing as Razers name is plastered everywhere, but the only fact that matters is that it's a product worthy of receiving a nine out of ten on our scale.
  • Pros
  • Well designed product, comfortable to use
  • Blue LEDs implemented well
  • Software offers much customization
  • Backed by Razer quality
  • Cons
  • Might not be perfect for desktop work
Read more at TechGage

Shadowed April 24, 2007 08:37 AM

I didn't see anywhere if this was a cordless model or not.
I have a logitech MX610 and its starting to go through a set of AAs every couple of weeks. I am thinking of going back to a corded mouse.
I had a MS mouse before and a feature I liked a lot was the "progressive scroll" for very fast, variable scroll speed.

Patriote April 24, 2007 08:54 AM

I see a cord on the pic!

Shadowed April 24, 2007 09:19 AM

lol.. i see it now, after I turned up the smartn... er brightness :)

Babrbarossa April 24, 2007 11:25 AM

Yeah- it's corded- I'm going back to a corded mouse here soon- I trying to figure out which one to buy right now.

Deathspawner April 24, 2007 01:50 PM

Which one are you using now? I use a G7 (Cordless) as my primary, which has never dropped out on me once. It uses rechargeable batteries that come with the mouse, so if that's your main concern, it's a good choice. Only downside is that the batteries need to be swapped near everyday, but you can just keep recharging them.

Babrbarossa April 24, 2007 01:53 PM

I'm using an ageing MX700 that has served me well enough for years- I'm not sure what's doing it now, but the signal seems to be weakening- getting missed stroked on both the keyboard and mouse- the mouse doesn't have enough resolution either.
I'll look at the G7- I don't mind the battery swapping- I have a charger right in front of me. Thanks for the recommend!

Deathspawner April 24, 2007 01:59 PM

Someone else I know actually had the same problem with their MX700 recently. I believe the G7 is essentially the same thing, just newer specs. I am sure it would wear down over time as well.

As for battery swapping, it's annoying after a while, but it takes only a few seconds to swap really. Still, it's great to be gaming with no loss of signal without a cord getting in the way.

One thing I've found also... is the battery will die quicker depending on your mousepad. Seems that my fUnc kills it quick, but I know someone else with a G7 and they use it for at least two full days before they need to swap.