Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 14, 2008, 03:10 AM
Allstar

Default Opinion needed on some DDR3 ram

I had ordered the following, which was supposed to be in stock, but apparently wasn't and has been back ordered a little over 2 weeks, and have been informed if may be for about another 2 weeks.

Corsair XMS3 DHX TW3X4G1600C9DHX 4GB 2X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 240PIN Memory Kit

I came across the following which are in stock. In reading they seem to be well thought of in enthusiast circles but I have no experience with the brand.

G.SKILL F3-12800CL7D-4GBHZ PC3-12800 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1600 CL7-7-7-18 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

My question is: Am I better off waiting for the Corsair, or go for the G.Skill.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 14, 2008 at 03:18 AM. Reason: Corrected typos
Old August 14, 2008, 09:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well, I can't speak about that specific set, but I've used lots of G-skill ram and never had a problem. Look at the timings, they're also way better.
Old August 14, 2008, 01:51 PM
Allstar

Sugar, yes I realized that. As I said, I've no experience with the brand, just what I've read online.

They do seem popular amongst overclockers and tweakers but many of those folks also aren't hesitant about using things they can afford to replace when they push them too hard. I'd like to try a bit of that but also want a rig that once I find a sweet spot back a bit from "the edge" would be stable 24/7.

Mostly what I have used in the past was Crucial and Corsair and on occasion Mushkin (Mushkins in the same general class are also out of stock).

I may just take a chance on the G.Skill. They're cheaper than Corsair too

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 14, 2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Fixing my seemingly inevitible typos
Old August 14, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

To me Mushkin > G.SKill > Corsair >OCZ > everyone else

With G.Skill you probably won't be able to push them much past their rated speed (unlike Mushkin) but at their rated speed you should never have a problem with them! Gskill are good kit, which I have personally used in a lot of builds (usually when Mushkin is out of stock at Ncix ;) )

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 14, 2008, 02:29 PM
Allstar

AkG, I had looked at the Mushkin HP3 996629 4GB 2X2GB PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8-8-8-24 Dual Channel Memory Kit when I originally found out the Corsairs were out of stock but it turned out that they were out of stock as well Never rains but it pours sometimes.

I also see you breed NSDTR. Nice dogs. A friend of mine had one. great character but he shed like a cottonwood tree in seed :) I had a Weimaraner that I lost last July to kidney failure at 7 1/2 years old. Place seems a bit empty without him.

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 14, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added comment about NSDTR rather than make another post
Old August 14, 2008, 03:49 PM
Banned
F@H

GSkill 4gb sticks are currently Samsung-based, same ICs as used in OCZ's 2000mhz kits( Samsung HCF0).

I ahvea 2gb set of the samsungs, 2000 mhz is a breeze @ 9-9-9-24.
Old August 14, 2008, 06:43 PM
Allstar

cadaveca, thanks for the input. I'm thinking I may just go with 4GB for now (2 2GB Corsair sets at 1600/7-7-7-20). The XMP are even cheaper but I'd still like to expand eventually.
Old August 14, 2008, 07:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry to hear about your loss NyteOwl. It really is like loosing a family member. The NSDTRs are really big goofballs and they brighten up even the most dreary of days. Though sometimes my old bulldogge girl Buttercup (aka the evil dwarf) looks at their antics and then at me me and I can just imagine her saying "clowns...I'm living with freakin' clowns". Of course she is much more reserved than most and isn't into games like "fetch" or "chase your tail 'till you fall down" ;)

Anyways back on topic :)~
Its funny but 4gb is the "new 2GB" and even if you run 32bit XP, INMHO its worth the few extra bucks to go with 'em.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 14, 2008, 07:47 PM
Allstar

Yes, they become family - as much as a human person might. What made it a bit harder amongst the family was that at the end of the same month my mother's Cavalier King Charles Spaniel passed away of congestive heart failure during a small heat wave. And yes she used to watch my Weim with the same regal "what the hell are you doing you big nut" when he'd start jumping and playing around. 7 year old puppy he was.

I'm of two minds to go with the G.SKill (which seem to be factory "overclocked" to 1600/7-7-7-20 @ 1.9v) or wait for the Corsair (1600@9-9-9-24 at 1.8v) and try overclocking them myself. Gotta loc this "hobby" FUn and frustrating all at once

Last edited by NyteOwl; August 14, 2008 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Fixed the paragraph break - having a bit of trouble there.
Old August 14, 2008, 09:20 PM
Banned
F@H

they'll more than likely not need the 1.9v, jsut 1.8 if they are samsung, the old Microns sometimes needed 1.9v. I run my GSkills @ 1.75v.