Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2008, 09:10 PM
Rookie

Default Four RAM Sticks in 680i LT Mobo Probs

Recently I bought two more sticks of Patriot PC2-6400 memory to add to the two I already had in my system. This means I now have all four dim slots filled with a 1GB RAM stick in each. Before with just two sticks installed my RAM was properly identified as SLI compatible, but now the RAM is not (with all 4 sticks installed). I am running the latest NVIDIA bios P07 and the all the RAM is of the same type (Patriot Extreme Performance DDR-2 800). I was hoping someone may be able to help me with this. The RAM in question is two 2GB kits of Patriot Extreme Performance (EP) Low Latency memory. The system runs fine with four sticks and maybe I should be happy with that, but the bios does not see the RAM (with all four sticks installed) as SLI compatible. I have run memtest and the RAM itself is fine and with just two of any of the four sticks installed it is identified as SLI compatabile. Also cpuz reports all the sticks as EPP capable.

Also, what does the NVMEM test setting in the bios do exactly? When should it be enabled or disabled?:help:
Old June 9, 2008, 09:21 PM
Allstar
F@H

All EPP does is automatically set the voltage and timings. You can set all that manually and it will work the same. Any RAM will work with SLI, so it doesn't matter if it is "SLI Compatible" or not.

IIRC the NVMEM Test thing is just a quick diagnostic to make sure your RAM is functioning fine. I leave it disabled as it adds to the boot time and doesn't check all the RAM. If you think one of your modules may have errors, just use MemTest86+ to see as it's much more accurate and thorough.
Old June 10, 2008, 09:33 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

SLI Compatible is really just a marketing gimmick that rides on the coat tales of EPP compatible RAM. As CanadaRox has already said it does not matter. You should, however, make sure the computer is running with the timings you expect. If these things get confused and you have the system set to autodetect there is no telling what it will do.

Try SiSoft Sandra and/or Everest to make sure the sticks have the same hardware configuration. If not, that may be confusing the mainboard. Also, some mainboards just do not work well with 4 sticks of RAM.

Computers with defective or incompatible components can run "just fine" for years. MemTest86+ will tell you if your RAM is working properly but it does not really test the whole CPU/bus/controller/channel/RAM system. Get Prime95 and torture test it for 6 hours to see if the system is really working well.
Old June 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
Rookie

Thanks guys. I know SLI-compat is not huge and you can set the timmings manually, and the RAM is working fine and running stable, I was just wondering is all.

Thanks again for the replies.