Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2017, 12:05 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Corsair sucks

I spent a few times on their forum trying the image verification and it kept failing.

I try to create an account and it has a response that there is already an account with that email address.

So, I click 'claim your account' and they're going to send me an email.

What a bunch of BS.

I just wanted to do a search on a RAM memory model number on their forum to see if people there are having problems with it.

I recently discovered one I bought has the dreaded hynix chip. They did a 'bait and switch?' There's a change in chips and I know that the most common chips are Samsung, Hynix and Micron but they changed it and now tons of AMD Ryzen customers are having trouble with their memory trying to get advertised speeds.

Their forum really sucks and I have never had a problem with the image verification function until then.

Also, I think that one shouldn't have to read on a Reddit forum about this issue - they should have a disclaimer or at least tell the customer what version the RAM is (at) since this is a major issue for people.

So, what are good power supplies that AREN'T Corsair? I know that SFF power supplies are only either Corsair or Silverstone so that really sucks - if I decide I want a SFF PSU. :-{
Old December 4, 2017, 12:13 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sorry to hear about your problems mate. Mfg'ers change ICs all the time. Its not just Corsair who does it. For Ryzen loosen the timings. Most timings are qualified on Intel... and AMD cant handle them. I find that works 99.9 percent of the time to get the speed (unless its above DDR43200 then its more Ryzen IMC lottery than anything).

For PSUs... really diggin' on the new Seasonic models. 10-12 year warranties. ROCK solid performance.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 4, 2017, 01:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yeah, no big deal. Just a minor rant. ;)

I think it's interesting, though, that Intel boards have no trouble....

I'll probably wait until Jan. or Feb anyway for which (AMD or Intel), I'll go with. I was worried about memory prices and I felt that they would go up so I decided to get memory now.... maybe I should have went with a SSD instead and took the risk? :)

With my luck, Samsung et al. will increase production and prices will go down a bit.....that's what usually happens to me. :)
Old December 4, 2017, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Been using Corsair Dominators and Corsair AX and HX PSU for the past 8 yrs - 10 yrs or so.....no issues other than a 1 kW HX I had to RMA (was painless and may not have been the PSU but more likely the Evga Board)...Corsair stands by there product and I alweays found them top notch for customer support.........too bad your experiencing just the opposite.

Firestrike Extreme: 21.452
https://www.3dmark.com/fs/14167916
MARK 11: 32.530
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/12496075

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old December 4, 2017, 06:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I am not much of a fan of thier online system. I had a set of hypers go bad on me and they offered me garbage in an rma. Had one of the kind souls of HWC get me through to someone higher up in the Canadian support food chain get me a realistic RMA. That set croaked and now because I don't have a receipt they told me to eff off essentially. Funny thing is all the info they could ever need to be cool is the only other case on my profile and they choose to ignore it. Fine by me, Gskill has been awesome as a new go to.

Dick Kickem
Old December 4, 2017, 09:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

^^^ huh...cant remember the guys name on Corsair Forum....Redbeard maybe....???..was always very helpful....although I never had a bad set of Dominator Memory in 10+ yrs.

Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

Old December 7, 2017, 03:32 PM
MVP

I don't like Corsairs lack of transferable warranty even if you have an invoice or buy something used. In addition I had dead memory modules from their Dominator and Vengeance lineup that I didn't experience with other brands. Corsairs warranty and customer service is only existent if you are the original owner and have the proof of purchase. If you receive a gift and don't have proof of purchase or buy a Corsair product used your out of luck. Very few manufacturers in the industry have such stringent RMA and warranty policies like Corsair. Corsair doesn't even stand by serial number warranty which also adds to the frustration. This is one of the reasons why aside from cases from Corsair I purchase components from competitors because they stand behind their product.
Old December 7, 2017, 05:44 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I don't like Corsairs lack of transferable warranty even if you have an invoice or buy something used. In addition I had dead memory modules from their Dominator and Vengeance lineup that I didn't experience with other brands. Corsairs warranty and customer service is only existent if you are the original owner and have the proof of purchase. If you receive a gift and don't have proof of purchase or buy a Corsair product used your out of luck. Very few manufacturers in the industry have such stringent RMA and warranty policies like Corsair. Corsair doesn't even stand by serial number warranty which also adds to the frustration. This is one of the reasons why aside from cases from Corsair I purchase components from competitors because they stand behind their product.
My experience exactly.

I had a Hwc user that pointed me to the Canadian regional manager when my elpida hyper Dominator set died because they were on the hunt to shaft people when all the hypers started dying. Paid a mint for that stuff and they wanted to give me straight up garbage as an RMA return. This corsair manager was a peach and got me a 12g set of DDR3 instead of 6g set but much slower as hypers were no longer in production. Now that it died, I don't have a receipt they won't help. I said, "look up one thread in my user rma history, and you will see what I am talking about!"

"unfortunately unless you have a receipt, we are unable to help" was the response. I said gskill it is from now on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
^^^ huh...cant remember the guys name on Corsair Forum....Redbeard maybe....???..was always very helpful....although I never had a bad set of Dominator Memory in 10+ yrs.

RMA is always awesome when nothing goes wrong. Look into the elpida hyper death rates and you will understand what was happening. Those things were going to die. Not if, but when.

Dick Kickem
Old December 12, 2017, 09:49 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
My experience exactly.

I had a Hwc user that pointed me to the Canadian regional manager when my elpida hyper Dominator set died because they were on the hunt to shaft people when all the hypers started dying. Paid a mint for that stuff and they wanted to give me straight up garbage as an RMA return. This corsair manager was a peach and got me a 12g set of DDR3 instead of 6g set but much slower as hypers were no longer in production. Now that it died, I don't have a receipt they won't help. I said, "look up one thread in my user rma history, and you will see what I am talking about!"

"unfortunately unless you have a receipt, we are unable to help" was the response. I said gskill it is from now on...

RMA is always awesome when nothing goes wrong. Look into the elpida hyper death rates and you will understand what was happening. Those things were going to die. Not if, but when.
I had to RMA a Corsair HX 1 kW PSU....of course they want to see a reciept...doesnt everyone...to prove that the product is stiull under warranty ?????? !!!!!
No problem at all with the RMA ....smooth sailing....so you guys are saying you shouldnt need proof of purchase or reciept to RMA a component that dies??? Good luck with that

Old December 12, 2017, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post
My experience exactly.

Huh....too bad..never had an issue with there RAM...RMA'd 1 PSU was painless!