Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Memory question... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/6972-memory-question.html)

encorp May 12, 2008 09:08 AM

Memory question...

My girl has an older IBM T40 laptop with 512mb PC2100 ram in it. I was going to upgrade it to it's max of two gigs for her but it appears now that PC2100 is fairly expensive as it's not sold often. Is it possible for me to drop PC2700 in it? Assuming it'll only run at the slower speed. I did this once with a desktop no problem.. just curious if anyone knows anything on this?

sswilson May 12, 2008 09:11 AM

It really depends on the motherboard. Some will allow you to throw in higher rated mem, some don't seem to like it so much.

Best bet would be to find a mom&pop local to you that will allow you to swap it in on the spot to check for compatiablility.

encorp May 12, 2008 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 57159)
It really depends on the motherboard. Some will allow you to throw in higher rated mem, some don't seem to like it so much.

Best bet would be to find a mom&pop local to you that will allow you to swap it in on the spot to check for compatiablility.

Yeah I figure that is what I shall do. Thanks again Sswilson :P

sswilson May 12, 2008 09:32 AM

It's wierd, I don't have that much experience with the laptop side of things, but on the desktop side... the PC2100 vice PC2700 is the only memory I've ever seen which had this issue of not being able to move up a notch.

Eldonko May 12, 2008 09:36 AM

I believe it will work but will just run at a slower speed - PC2700 memory at 266MHz (PC2700 memory is 333MHz)

encorp May 12, 2008 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldonko (Post 57167)
I believe it will work but will just run at a slower speed - PC2700 memory at 266MHz (PC2700 memory is 333MHz)

That's what I was thinking. Without my having to look, is there a return policy with NCIX - if I order it with my next shipment of crap from them can I send it back if it dosn't work for me?

Eagle Eye May 12, 2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

NCIX.com offers a 15-day Satisfaction Guarantee on many items that we sell. Due to supplier and manufacturer restrictions, some opened items will be non-refundable, and any return is subject to prior approval from NCIX.com. Items that are unopened and still in its original shrink wrap and sealed, can be returned without restriction, within 15 days of purchase, unless marked as unreturnable. All items returned to us must be shipped pre-paid.
Items eligible for return are subject to a 15% restocking fee, and if approved by NCIX.com would be eligible for exchange, merchandise credit or refund. Due to the volatile nature of computer prices, items will only be refunded at the current pricing at the time of return. Software must be in its original box and unopened (still sealed in its original shrink wrap). Defective software will be exchanged with the same title (subject to availability).
Satisfaction Guarantee excludes CRT monitors, LCD monitors, notebook computers, mobile PCs, PDAs, printers, consumables (i.e. printer cartridges, CD-Rs, and blank media), televisions, consumer appliances (i.e. microwaves, refrigerators, etc.), customized computers, mouse pads and special order items.
You sure can but it will cost ya...

encorp May 12, 2008 01:56 PM

Yeah, I'm not even going to bother.. I'll order some and if it dosn't work; there is always craigslist :) (or here lol!)

MAC May 12, 2008 05:51 PM

It will work, I have a 1GB stick of PC2700 in my T40p.

encorp May 12, 2008 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 57282)
It will work, I have a 1GB stick of PC2700 in my T40p.

Thank you very much!