Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 15, 2014, 06:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Default Quad Channel Memory Questions

Alright, if some of my stuff on the BST sells I've promised myself I will upgrade my ram to something that is much much faster than what I'm using right now. Since I have a X79 chipset and it is Quad Channel, can I buy two dual channel kits (exact same kit) and have them run in quad channel mode or do I have to buy specific quad channel kits?

And on a second note, what high speed kits should I be looking at?

Thirdly, will better timing/newer ram allow me to overclock better as right now I'm not overclocked that fast as I tend to get BSODs related to my RAM.
Old April 15, 2014, 07:27 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Dual, triple and quad channel all refer to how many sticks your memory controller can access at once, not the memory sticks themselves. Yes, you can run 2 dual channel sets in quad mode, I did it on my X79 board.
Old April 15, 2014, 07:41 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

X79 has mixed reviews on using anything other than a true quad channel kit. I have heard people complain that with SNB-E they had some RAM that didn't play nice by mixing sticks and therefore they always say to buy a proper quad channel kit. Technically, all a quad channel kit means is that the 4 sticks are "tested together" to perform to spec.
Old April 16, 2014, 06:36 AM
MVP

My System Specs

If not just buy a Kingston haha :P they work with any mobo.
Old April 16, 2014, 07:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

not a problem with same manufactures P/N or matched sets of 4, 2 with same speed clocks by same manufacture series

matched sets means will play nice for same sticks from lot made
Old April 16, 2014, 08:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, if I were to buy 2 dual channel sets they would be the exact same ones, so one could assume the chance of the same lot would be quite high. For whatever reason quad kits are more expensive on average than dual kits (times two)
Old April 16, 2014, 09:40 AM

My System Specs

Most of my ram I buy tends to be just single individual sticks. And I cant say I have had any issues w/ compatibility even on X79 systems. I am even using two different sets of registered ECC on my dual LGA2011 system and it has been rock solid stable.

Ram shouldn't be the bottleneck of the cause of instability in overclocking these days since ram speed does not increase as you raise the multiplier. Only if you are using a 3820 will the dram speed increase as you overclock. However this can also be avoided by running a lower DRAM ratio.

Personally I don't see a need for ram faster than 1600MHz. Anything over that generally has little to no impact on real world performance.
Old April 16, 2014, 10:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Yeah, if I were to buy 2 dual channel sets they would be the exact same ones, so one could assume the chance of the same lot would be quite high. For whatever reason quad kits are more expensive on average than dual kits (times two)
that's what I done

F3-12800CL9-4GB z an l other has different letter on end works ok here @ 4.1Ghz bus 666.3MHz

XMP mode
Old April 16, 2014, 10:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Will or would memory speed make much of a difference if I decided on making/running a RAMDISK, or would that be hardly noticeable to. If I'm going to 1600 MHz ram over 2400 MHz with the same sort of budget in mind, I'd go for more (16-32GB)
Old April 16, 2014, 11:12 AM

My System Specs

No I dont think moving to 2400 would even be beneficial for a ramdisk. You already will be getting crazy bandwidth due to the quad channel.