Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 16, 2014, 11:20 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Last question would be is if I should go with a 16GB or a 32GB ramdisk.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:33 AM

My System Specs

Honestly I would rather do a ramcache over a ramdisk. I do a 20GB ramcache w/ Primocache and like it. It reduces over 50% of the writes to the SSD. All writes are at like 10,000MB/s. Plus files that get accessed often have similar read speeds.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame

what your OS version see's 32bit 64bit
Old April 16, 2014, 11:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That requires you deciding on how you plan to use your RAMDISK. If you are just caching? 16GB is tons... if you actually want to install programs on it? Maybe it is worth the larger size.

Some software will "auto-reload" your RAMDISK at startup (i.e. re-install the programs after your computer powers off), but I do not know much about how well installed programs run after the ramdisk has been reset. I personally like the caching method with a "auto-reload" style feature to have it return to the previous state after a restart/power off.
Old April 16, 2014, 11:47 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Ramcache? I suppose I've been out of the game a bit and I'm not quite sure what that is, how it might benefit myself and what software I'd need to run that.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:21 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Ramcache? I suppose I've been out of the game a bit and I'm not quite sure what that is, how it might benefit myself and what software I'd need to run that.
Primocache is the software you want. You can set aside ram to use as a cache. Similar to how you could use an SSD to cache a mechanical hard drive w/ Intel SRT. Depending how you set it up it can do many things. For me all my data for my SSD gets written to the ram cache first. Then after a delay of 10s it gets written to the SSD. If you have indexing enabled then this itself will reduce the number of writes to the SSD by close to 50%. Blocks that are read often will get copied to the ram cache. So it would be read @ 5000 to 10,000MB/s versus ~550MB/s if it were to be read from the SSD.

Like draemn said w/ the cache you dont need to worry about backing up the cache like w/ a ramdrive. If you lose power for some reason you only lose the data that hasnt been written yet. Which in my case is 10s worth of data.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not really looking to use it for application data, namely to well speed up load times for video games. I am not worried about cache writing to my SSD either since the prior one I had is still running strong in another system with very good health. Helps I still have any say downloads go to my 2nd drive, but would ramcache benefit a gamer, since I do not do video editing/3D editing/etc.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just look up the benefits of SSD caching as there have been MANY articles written on that. It will be the same but much higher performance. Here's the first one I found on google:

Crucial Adrenaline review: SSD cache drive speeds up your PC - Computerworld
Old April 22, 2014, 04:07 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Alright, if some of my stuff on the BST sells I've promised myself I will upgrade my ram to something that is much much faster than what I'm using right now. Since I have a X79 chipset and it is Quad Channel, can I buy two dual channel kits (exact same kit) and have them run in quad channel mode or do I have to buy specific quad channel kits?

And on a second note, what high speed kits should I be looking at?

Thirdly, will better timing/newer ram allow me to overclock better as right now I'm not overclocked that fast as I tend to get BSODs related to my RAM.
the mobos controller handles how many channels the ram is accessed its not within the rams bios. prolly already been explained before this but least this contains what component handles what if anyone was wondering.

as to performance gains on load times i would be quite curious as to how much of an increase there really is myself. im assuming only a few seconds if any at all due to the ssd probably is slower then the bus interface due to the limited 4kb random read/writes.