Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 29, 2013, 12:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Or just make it seem like more damage was done than there actually was. Although DRAM prices started to increase substantially before the fire.
It's a combination of factors. The explosion in mobile devices (tablets, smartphones) and resulting demand combined with higher margins for those products had manufacturers shift more production to those lines as well.

Supposedly several manufacturers have taken a stock hit recently as investor's speculate that margins are about to get lower.
Old December 29, 2013, 12:50 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

its friggin price gouging no matter how its spelled out, There is NO WAY 32gb of ram should cost $1100 no matter what brand it is.
http://products.ncix.com/detail/cors...t-dc-72523.htm

I'll bet it cost them $10 to make it. This rotation of component factories burning down one after the other and the resulting anal rape that goes on afterwards is getting pretty tiresome.
Old December 29, 2013, 01:49 AM
Top Prospect

The example you posted is a binned specialty product. DDR3 2400 is not even a JEDEC standard. It also says it is $560 in your link?

DDR3 1600 32gb is available here for $330 - http://products.ncix.com/detail/g-sk...t-47-65663.htm

Memory prices historically have been cyclical. DDR2 for example bottomed out then rose eventually before the mainstream became dominated by DDR3. We have seen the same thing occur with DDR3. Current DDR3 prices are actually in line with what they were 3 years ago. They bottomed out and then started rising just like we saw with DDR2.

The current situation however is that producers are shifting away from PC DDR3 enticed by higher margins and increasing demand elsewhere. You will likely see further escalating costs in the longer run as the transition to DDR4 starts ramping. In the short term however there may be price relief as capacity (like I noted earlier) is being restored next month.

The actual core problem with many of these industries is the extremely high cost and barriers to entry which causes issues related to competition bringing down prices. Basically a very low variable cost while having a very high fixed cost. Although the actual labor and material costs to manufacturer is very low the cost to setup the infrastructure is extremely high in terms of cost and time (in the range of hundreds of millions to billions and years). As such it seems to be naturally conducive for a situation where a few dominant players with existing infrastructure end up controlling the market with it being extremely problematic for new entrants. Another example of this is the communications industry.
Old December 29, 2013, 08:37 AM
Rookie

They took a huge jump year and a half ago or so which really sucks, I have a set of G.Skill right now which I'm convinced isn't functioning 100% yet it passes memtest. I would love to just replace them but with prices how they are yeash... Not going to happen.
Old December 29, 2013, 12:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Not that long ago it was much much more expensive.. it was unsustainable at it's low point, I'm just hopeful it doesn't keep going up and levels off soon.

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old December 29, 2013, 12:12 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Pretty sure I paid damn near $200 for my first set of high frequency, low latency, 1G X2 OCZ plat sticks. ;-)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 29, 2013, 03:49 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
They took a huge jump year and a half ago or so which really sucks, I have a set of G.Skill right now which I'm convinced isn't functioning 100% yet it passes memtest. I would love to just replace them but with prices how they are yeash... Not going to happen.
Run it through a few other tests besides Mem and see what you get.
G.Skill also is lifetime warranty, and their RMA Dept is pretty damn good at helping with issues.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 29, 2013, 04:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
Then make sure you have the ram setup properly in the bios.
Old December 29, 2013, 04:27 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Run it through a few other tests besides Mem and see what you get.
G.Skill also is lifetime warranty, and their RMA Dept is pretty damn good at helping with issues.

-ST
Really? I have a similar problem where it passes memtest endlessly but I BSOD left, right, and center. 32GB and it seems most of the sticks are toast.

Think my chances of RMA'ing them are slim to non since I removed the 'warranty void if removed' sticker if it was vieweable in a system.
Old December 29, 2013, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Really? I have a similar problem where it passes memtest endlessly but I BSOD left, right, and center. 32GB and it seems most of the sticks are toast.

Think my chances of RMA'ing them are slim to non since I removed the 'warranty void if removed' sticker if it was vieweable in a system.
Minus that sticker yes, G.Skill is lifetime warranty.
When I got one of their really high end kits I was having a devil of a time getting it to play nice with my EVGA board. After a few emails (their Tech guys really know what they are doing) I was golden.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com