Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 17, 2013, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"We expect to see DDR4 in desktops and notebooks maybe a year after the server," explained a representative from Kingston on the show floor. If that's true we should see DDR4 filtering down into our desktop machines sometime in 2015 - memory companies are set to start shipping server-grade memory next year.

Just found this quote on techradar.
Old November 17, 2013, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I read somewhere that it is supposed to be late this year or early next.
the thing I don't get about things like this is how can they predict those speeds and such because they don't have the comparable motherboard or CPU to do proper testing.
Old November 18, 2013, 06:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
thing I don't get about things like this is how can they predict those speeds and such because they don't have the comparable motherboard or CPU to do proper testing.
actually the do, they had it in September even! What I find interesting is that they already have the Haswell E cpu!

Intel Demos Haswell-E CPU With DDR4 Memory On X99 Chipset Based Motherboard | Computer Hardware Reviews - ThinkComputers.org
Old November 18, 2013, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Engineering samples are started LONG before final release. Research for new hardware can be a 2-4 year process from when they start working on it to when it is released. When a new CPU goes on sale, it is usually 3 or more months AFTER they have started producing the final version. They need months to:
1) make that many CPUs to not run out of stock on day 1
2) package and ship all the products to their retailers
3) let everyone else in the chain get ready, etc.
Old November 19, 2013, 07:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I wouldn't exactly put off building a new system waiting for DDR4. Server Grade most probably means ECC so it's going to come at a premium as well. Desktop trickle down is a ways off.
Old February 8, 2014, 08:18 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think a couple of vendors were showing off their DDR4 at CES2014.
I would also like to see what it has to offer for IGPUs.
I mean, when's the last time you saw a GDDR4 video card?
Old February 9, 2014, 07:08 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyseroTheMage View Post
I think a couple of vendors were showing off their DDR4 at CES2014.
I would also like to see what it has to offer for IGPUs.
I mean, when's the last time you saw a GDDR4 video card?
GDDR5, which is used on current GPUs, replaced GDDR4. Both of were derived from DDR3 memory. GDDR numbering basically is not related to DDR numbering.

GDDR6 is currently in development. The other form of memory being pursed is 3D stacked DRAM, which is currently on Nvidia's roadmap for Volta. In the mean time it seems wider buses (the largest Maxwell is rumored to also be 512 bit like the 290/290x. "Mid range" cards will move beyond 256 bit) will be used to increase bandwidth as GDDR5 speeds have basically peaked.