Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Not enough RAM making my PC slow? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/63981-not-enough-ram-making-my-pc-slow.html)

whitetigerswt November 6, 2013 12:10 PM

Not enough RAM making my PC slow?

here's my PC specs:

Windows 8 pro
AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 3.2 ghz (6 core)
Nvidia 460 GTX 1 GB
4 GB DDR2 @ 800 mhz
1.0TB Hard drive (not sure on the speed!)
Asus M3A78-CM (motherboard)

I have a laptop too:

Toshiba Satellite L50-AST2NX3 Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor, Windows 8, 12GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, Intel® Integrated Graphics, 1.0TB (5400 RPM, Serial ATA)

my PC boots up 5x slower than my laptop, having the same applications start up when I boot it. When I leave a game or something on my PC, or alt-tab out of the game, my PC is generally a lot slower and takes more time to do tasks when I click on things, sometimes it might freeze for 3-5 seconds. I've been thinking that this is the ram. nowadays 8 GB is the standard in ram, and its even starting to shift to 16 GB being the standard. is it time it upgrade my RAM? will it make my PC start up, and then run less-freezy? Another problem is that now, DDR2 ram is more expensive then DDR3. I found I think a good price for DDR2 4 GB here: Amazon.com: Memory Master 4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 MHz PC2-6400 Desktop DIMM Memory Modules MMD4096KD2-800: Electronics ($40 for 4 gb. if you can't see the price properly)

tl;dr: will upgrading from 4 to 8 gb ram make a big impact on my boot up time, and if I alt-tab from a game, make windows not freeze?

great_big_abyss November 6, 2013 12:51 PM

Not enough RAM would definitely affect performance once you open enough applications that it runs out and starts using pagefile on your harddrive. But it shouldn't affect general startup. The reason for that may be as simple as your laptop is much newer. Your desktop still has SATA 3Gb/s and an older, slower processor.

What version of windows 8 are you using? If it's 32bit Windows, adding more RAM will be useless as Windows will not be able to use it...

sswilson November 6, 2013 01:25 PM

Memory might do that, but if it's really taking 8X longer to boot and it's a relatively new install of windows 8 I'd be more inclined to assume it's a driver or device issue.

Have you tried unplugging all but the essentials to see if the issue goes away? How about device manager.... any unknown devices showing up in that? Does your motherboard have win8 drivers and are they installed?

enaberif November 6, 2013 01:37 PM

Things like usb keys, mice, keyboards, external hard drives can ALL slow down a pc when booting.

Shadowmeph November 6, 2013 01:41 PM

I agree with everything that has been said also see what is running at startup also turn off everything that you don't need running in the back ground ( I use ccleaner to see what is starting up in the back ground)

whitetigerswt November 6, 2013 02:14 PM

it's windows 8 Pro 64 bit, obviously or I wouldn't suggest more ram :biggrin: I'll try and unplug some stuff that I don't use.

SugarJ November 6, 2013 02:54 PM

Will more ram speed up your boot process? Unlikely. Will it improve your multitasking responsiveness? Probably.

Bond007 November 6, 2013 06:05 PM

Boot speed is going to be brought down by having too many applications starting, and hard drive speed. If you want a faster boot, then replace the HDD with and SSD....use the HDD for storage.

EDIT: adding ram wouldn't really help IMO.

enaberif November 6, 2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bond007 (Post 739298)
Boot speed is going to be brought down by having too many applications starting, and hard drive speed. If you want a faster boot, then replace the HDD with and SSD....use the HDD for storage.

EDIT: adding ram wouldn't really help IMO.

Boot speed is affected by devices attached and the devices within your system. Loading times is affect by software and such but in this day and age loading times is hardly affected by a over abundance of software starting up.

Johnny Buntu November 6, 2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whitetigerswt (Post 739216)
here's my PC specs:

Windows 8 pro
AMD Phenom II 1090T @ 3.2 ghz (6 core)
Nvidia 460 GTX 1 GB
4 GB DDR2 @ 800 mhz
1.0TB Hard drive (not sure on the speed!)
Asus M3A78-CM (motherboard)

I have a laptop too:

Toshiba Satellite L50-AST2NX3 Laptop
Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ Processor, Windows 8, 12GB DDR3L 1600MHz memory, Intel® Integrated Graphics, 1.0TB (5400 RPM, Serial ATA)

my PC boots up 5x slower than my laptop, having the same applications start up when I boot it. When I leave a game or something on my PC, or alt-tab out of the game, my PC is generally a lot slower and takes more time to do tasks when I click on things, sometimes it might freeze for 3-5 seconds. I've been thinking that this is the ram. nowadays 8 GB is the standard in ram, and its even starting to shift to 16 GB being the standard. is it time it upgrade my RAM? will it make my PC start up, and then run less-freezy? Another problem is that now, DDR2 ram is more expensive then DDR3. I found I think a good price for DDR2 4 GB here: Amazon.com: Memory Master 4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 MHz PC2-6400 Desktop DIMM Memory Modules MMD4096KD2-800: Electronics ($40 for 4 gb. if you can't see the price properly)

tl;dr: will upgrading from 4 to 8 gb ram make a big impact on my boot up time, and if I alt-tab from a game, make windows not freeze?

During boot up I would definitely make sure no external HD is attached
2) what are you RAM timings? voltage
3) Bios..is it up to date?
4)Bios chip could be acting up , how old is the mobo?
5)what are your temps?
6) sometimes a dying GPU can be the culprit , do you have an alternative GFX card?

Johnny