Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 29, 2008, 02:19 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Just so folks who aren't thinking about the clocks you're posting get the full picture..... CPU-Z's reported dram speed is half of what folks normally use right? (Hence DDR2 800 displays as 400).

So your memory is actually running at DDR3 2000+?
yup, so the CPU-Z validation right at the top is 1100MHz = DDR3-2200. the 1M run at 1086MHz is DDR3-2172, and so on and so forth. yes, this kit absolutely screams on this motherboard for benching, and even for full stability, DDR3-2090 is still very very impressive.
Old April 29, 2008, 02:20 PM
Allstar

NVM, that was your max ram frequency I was looking at, not CPU frequency.
Old April 29, 2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
@Jody, is your chip cold-bugged? You have a decent amount of voltage going through that chip for a "small" overclock. (In comparison to others)
nope, no cold bug but the voltage needed for 5GHz on this single stage isn't that much...more than some but less than a lot. i have had many E8400s that wouldn't even get up to 5GHz benchable with this setup.

keep in mind that the temps are only -20C or so, not Dry Ice or LN2 temps of -60C and colder. 1.7v for benching all day at 5GHz on a basic single stage is pretty average from what i have seen. the system at this frequency and voltage is by no means un-stable. we are talking about 30 hours straight benching without a lot of breaks and lots of testing GPU clocks and 3D tweaks so plenty of back to back to back to back runs and what not. i was quite pleased with the CPU throughout this session.

with that said, i might have found a much better CPU today...the only problem is that the EVGA 790i tops out around 570FSB benchable with P1/P2 enabled. with them disabled it really slows the system down. so i am looking at a max of 5050MHz~5150MHz with this setup regardless of cooling on the CPU until i get higher multi CPUs or some more cooling and voltage to the north bridge...if that will even help.

***EDIT***
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wankerfx View Post
NVM, that was your max ram frequency I was looking at, not CPU frequency.
oops, i took too long
Old May 3, 2008, 03:28 AM
Associate Review Editor

I notice you keep saying "only" 2.1X volts. Well you might want to be careful, because 2.10V seems to be a dangerous threshold to cross. DDR3 seems to be very sensitive to voltage, and many users are reporting IC degradation (ie: loss of overclocking potential) within days, sometime even hours.

Having said that, I'm sure you are well aware of all of this, so keep on reaching for the Sky
Old May 3, 2008, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
Having said that, I'm sure you are well aware of all of this, so keep on reaching for the Sky
you bet i am...but keep in mind. in the benchmarking world, 2.1v for DDR3 is like 2.5v for DDR2...safe enough for benchmarking but with a risk of dying, but far from what lots of guys are running through their sticks.