Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   16 GBs vs 32GBs of Corsair Vengeance RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/62514-16-gbs-vs-32gbs-corsair-vengeance-ram.html)

sankukai August 5, 2013 10:01 PM

16 GBs vs 32GBs of Corsair Vengeance RAM

Hello guys...

I`m in a bit of a dilemma. I own a DP67BG intel motherboard and have 16 GBs of Corsair Vengeance RAM divided into 4 dimms of 4 GBs each. I also have a Noctua NH-C14 cooler which I use at half of its capacity because the heat spreaders on the memory dimms are too tall for the second fan to use. Thus I am planning to purchase low profile memory to install my second cooler fan. Now I have two choices, I can either buy a new set of 4 dimms of 4 GBs each ( 16 GBs total) or I can purchase two dimms of 8 GBs each and install them along with two other 8GB dimms I purchased a while ago and have a total memory of 32 GBs. My question is, which of the two choices is better in terms of reliability?

4 dimms of 4 GBs are working very well in my current build, so going for the 32 GBs setup would be in part for hardcore gaming and part for bragging rights. Anyway, my fear is that 8 GB dimms are more prone to failure or damage of some sort than the ones that are 4 GB each. Is there any truth to this concern? Should I go with 4x4 of RAM to ensure the best durability and/or reliability of each RAM stick or should I throw caution to the wind and get the two dimms of 8 GBs each and increase my memory to 32 GBs?

I would appreciate informed suggestions regarding this matter.

By the way, the memory brand that I am talking about in all cases is Corsair Vengeance

EmptyMellon August 5, 2013 10:33 PM

Are you saturating the existing 16GB of RAM during specific usage scenarios, with some design/editing software? If not, and all you do is game, and surf the web, then even 8GB of RAM is sufficient...32GB is anything but hardcore gaming since most of the current games barely use 4GB not to mention 8GB. Of course, if you plan on turning part of your 32GB into a RAMdisk then all the power to you.

Perineum August 5, 2013 11:39 PM

I love to go overkill on my RAM when I build my own systems. For this generation I settled on 16GB so you know my opinion now.

If I was going to go with 32gb of RAM I'd go with 64 or more for a large RAM disk.

sankukai August 5, 2013 11:56 PM

Well my question was more in the vein of whether 8 GB ram sticks are more or less prone to failure and or damage of some sort than 4 GB ram sticks. Is it safer for me to buy 4x4 of RAM rather than 2x8 in terms of memory reliability?

stlouis1 August 6, 2013 04:30 AM

2x8 would be preferable.

lots of motherboards will run the ram at a lower speed when all 4 dimms are populated

16gb is typically more than enough these days though. Between my two desktops at home, I definitely use more than 8gb on a day to day basis, but I barely pass 10-11gb at most.

Shadowmeph August 6, 2013 08:29 AM

I never noticed a difference between 8 and 12 gb ram hehe and I do a fair amount of multi tasking

Bond007 August 6, 2013 09:07 AM

Unless you specifically know you need a ton of RAM, 16gb is more than enough. Go for 2x8gb.

draemn August 6, 2013 10:32 AM

+1 to using 2 instead of 4 sticks of memory.

Caldezar August 6, 2013 11:06 AM

8GB sticks are no more prone to failure than 4GB sticks that I'm aware of. 2x8 GB sticks for 16GB of total RAM is PLENTY if you aren't doing video editing. So far, that's the only application I've seen breaking 16GB of usage. (Including significant multitasking.) Frankly, I'd be surprised if you ever saturate more than 8GB on a gaming rig.

The question remains as to whether 2 or 4 sticks are a better option. As mentioned previously, some board/power combos will clock RAM down a bit when running 4 sticks, although I believe that to be more an issue with lower quality MB's. (I could be wrong, but listing your MB/CPU/PSU could help answer that) Possibly you could consider 4 sticks as providing you a backup of pulling 2 sticks for RMA if any of your RAM fails, but that's a bit of a wash in my mind as simply buying the extra two sticks at the time of failure puts you no further behind. It might actually put you ahead to stick to 16GB as the price of RAM at the moment isn't all that great.

In short... my suggestion is 2x8GB. But it's always a personal decision to spend an extra $150 that will likely do nothing at all for you. Bragging rights might have some value, but spending that money on something like an SSD or other upgrade could actually get you something you could use.

*EDIT* - If the specs in your system link are accurate, I would definitely use that money for an SSD. It'll be a major jump for you, and gaming in 1080p isn't going to put you anywhere near 16GB of RAM usage.

sankukai August 6, 2013 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys but my question remains the same: are 8 GB ram sticks more or less prone to failure and or damage of some sort than 4 GB ram sticks? Is it safer for me to buy 4x4 of RAM rather than 2x8 in terms of memory reliability?