Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2013, 03:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldezar View Post
8GB sticks are no more prone to failure than 4GB sticks that I'm aware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sankukai View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions guys but my question remains the same: are 8 GB ram sticks more or less prone to failure and or damage of some sort than 4 GB ram sticks? Is it safer for me to buy 4x4 of RAM rather than 2x8 in terms of memory reliability?
Errrr?
Old August 6, 2013, 04:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think anyone has seen any evidence that either one is inherently more reliable than the other.

My opinion would be to get the 8GB sticks I know that is what I have.

Old August 6, 2013, 07:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I can"t comment on the 8gb sticks but I do have something to add...
I know windows pro supports 32gb and your specs state ultimate. Does ultimate support 32gb?
If your happy with the 16gb of corsairs why not maybe a new H100 or similar then you can use the other ram cooler or fans. Or another air cooler either taller or not as deep.
You may be asking for problems mixing different sized sticks especially if some are going to be low profile and then maxing out what the board supports. Microns are actually the only 8gb sticks that intel tested or say are workable.
Old August 7, 2013, 04:15 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

windows 7 pro/ultimate/enterprise support 192gb of ram according to this

Memory Limits for Windows Releases (Windows)

but anyway, for reliability of 4gb vs 8gb sticks, ram is ram, I've only had a single DDR3 stick fail on me so far, and it was an old 2gb ocz obsidian stick. haven't had any 4 or 8gb sticks fail me yet

and when it comes to compatibility as noted above, I stick to my statement of ram is ram, sure there's only so many brands that mobo/cpu manufacturers test and say it works, but we've left the 90's era and we're in the 21st century now, generally, unless you're doing something wrong, things tend to just work I find