Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 9, 2013, 04:09 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Angry CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB - crap?

I bought one of these kits,
Newegg.ca - CORSAIR Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1866C9B

to go with an Asus F2A85-M Pro and an A10-6800K, though I did use an A4-5300 for a week or so

Now when I built it at first, I couldn't get the ram to run at 1866 on it's rated specs, couldn't even get it to boot without raising the voltage a lot but it still wasn't stable. I assumed it may have been the CPU limiting me since the specs for the cpu say the max mem speed was lower, I may have been wrong, but yeah

But then I swapped in the A10-6800 and tried bumping up the memory speed, same problem.

Now I'll be going home this morning to test each stick individually to see if it's one stick holding it back, or both, or something else, but I wondered if anyone else here has had experience with that kit?

but since I upgraded, I also had a new fan burnout, smoke and all, plus, the system just goes down to a crawl at random, can't tell if it's the whole system, or just the ui which could be attributed to ram still because the IGP will share memory, and well, bad fans happen sometimes
Old July 9, 2013, 04:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Bad PSU possibly?

AKG: "So please don't piss on people and claim its raining. "
Soullessone21: "Their the only fat bitches I ever want in my wife :)"
Old July 9, 2013, 04:28 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I ran prime on it for a bit and kept an eye on the voltages, everything was well, well within range spec
Old July 9, 2013, 04:58 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Make sure the mobo isn't messing with the Auto timings. I've had my F2A85-M PRO misread the SPD numerous times, either applying too much voltage or lowering the timings.
Old July 9, 2013, 05:08 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i tried setting it all manually to 1866mhz, 1.5v, 9-10-9-27 timings (what's on the sticker ), won't boot, just tells me the OC fails

it boots if I set the voltage up to 1.625 though, but I have to lax the timings a lot to get it to boot windows at all

I'm pretty sure that aint right

Last edited by stlouis1; July 9, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old July 9, 2013, 07:52 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

That voltage is too high to just hit 1866MHz. You should RMA to Corsair. However, I do want to note that the A4-5300 does NOT have official 1866MHz support.
Old July 9, 2013, 12:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Not trying to defend Corsair...but I have lost count of the number of builds I have used their LP 'blues' in. Damn stable kit. Think I had one bad stick in the entire lot.... Of course I dont build many A4 builds so maybe that is just lack of experience with this combo! Honestly though I would suspect something else...but cover all bases and test the ram. Do you have any known good ram to make sure its not the CPU or bad ram slot?

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 9, 2013, 07:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Not trying to defend Corsair...but I have lost count of the number of builds I have used their LP 'blues' in. Damn stable kit. Think I had one bad stick in the entire lot.... Of course I dont build many A4 builds so maybe that is just lack of experience with this combo! Honestly though I would suspect something else...but cover all bases and test the ram. Do you have any known good ram to make sure its not the CPU or bad ram slot?
I have other known working ram, but none that will fit in that system due to it's low profile which is just annoying

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
That voltage is too high to just hit 1866MHz. You should RMA to Corsair. However, I do want to note that the A4-5300 does NOT have official 1866MHz support.
and that's why I thought nothing of it at first, but now with the A10-6800K which is rated to handle memory at that speed, its a different story

I ended up testing each stick individually, and one of them did eventually start kicking out errors. I've gone back to the store and swapped it. all is well

one thing I noticed, when I took that stick out, the fan that wasn't working.....started working....?? wtf

it's working though, played nsf shift for a few hours earlier. I've downclocked the cpu to max out at 3.2ghz to keep the power usage and temps down, but I think tomorrow i'll try oc'ing the GPU and see what if it helps me at all for whatever few titles I'll actually play on this system