Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 27, 2013, 06:13 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Page file and memory question

OK, my current system has 24GB of ram in it. I didn't set out to have that much, I just happened on a deal that included it so I am using it. What the hell should I do with the excess free memory? I'm thinking I don't need any sort of page file, not sure about playing with a ramdisk.

Any suggestions? To me it is a shame I don't do anything ram intensive. I hardly even play modern games, I mostly play driving games/sims.
Old May 27, 2013, 06:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I only have 8GB's of ram and have been running my Vista rig without a page file for quite some time. I do game a lot if that tells you anything. AMD has a software ram drive thingy you might want to play with the free version for fun. Other than that it is a bit of a waste imo.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
OK, my current system has 24GB of ram in it. I didn't set out to have that much, I just happened on a deal that included it so I am using it. What the hell should I do with the excess free memory? I'm thinking I don't need any sort of page file, not sure about playing with a ramdisk.

Any suggestions? To me it is a shame I don't do anything ram intensive. I hardly even play modern games, I mostly play driving games/sims.
Always advised to keep the pagefile for legacy purposes. Just set it as a static 2gb file and let it be.

Not sure why this question constantly gets asked. You could have googled the same answer.
Old May 27, 2013, 07:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I asked mostly because I am curious if anything else has come up to use system ram and I have paid little attention for quite some time as far as technology and such.

I'm just starting to see that I may just take 3 sticks out and see if I can get better clocks.

Besides, I would rather have a small discussion here than spend hours Googling something.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:02 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H

Photoshop and SQL can use up that amount of memory but that's about it. If you're doing photoshop on large pics then set up a ram disk for your scratch disk in Photoshop.

Other than that, I've got nothing. I was running on 4gb for a while and Tomb Raider used all of that, but nothing else came close, 8gb is plenty.
Old May 27, 2013, 08:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Happy to hear your trying to make use of that 24GB's of ram I had kicking around haha, If you find a great use for it make sure you keep us in the loop