Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2013, 06:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Anyone use a RAM Disk? Is it worth it?

I've got excess RAM - 32 gb (in Win8, only 16 of which I can use in Win7 Home Premie).
I've been intrigued by the idea of a RAM Disk.
In reading posts referencing RAM Disk I get mixed messages that with an SSD there ain't a lot to be gained by configuring a RAM Disk. I also read scratch disks can be useful (I use Adobe Elements so not sure if it would help?).

I also see a range of products on the market, AMD offers up to 4 GB of free RAMdisk utility (not too costly to download the full version if it was a great system booster) There are freeware programs that allow for more than 4 GB. I could easily use 16 and maybe as much as 24 GB in Win8 and maybe up to 8 (??) in Win7.

Could I for example put my X-Plane files onto the RAM disk and see a big performance boost?

Does anyone actually use a RAM Disk? Is it worth the effort to learn how and use it?

FKD
Fort Kent, Alberta

2012 - A10 Rig
Old May 10, 2013, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have been using one off and on for a bit ever since I put 32GB in my machine.

For software I have been using Softperfect's RAMDisk : High-performance RAM Disk for Windows.

I usually end up using for games with lots of loading screens and find that it certainly helps with loading screens. They were almost non-existent in ME2 when I had it on the ram disk. With that software you can also use it to create images and then mount that image as a ram drive. It will then save back to the image file on a regular basis (configurable) so you don't lose everything if you lose power or something.

Old May 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
MVP

There's a very specific purpose for RAM disks. But for general usage, it wasn't worth it for me. The extra time it takes to start up and shut down offsets any benefits from the RAM disk.

Something along the lines of what was mentioned above, although it should be a bit more extreme, would be the proper scenario for it. With an SSD, especially in a RAID0 array, the difference is neglible for game loading.
Old May 10, 2013, 10:46 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
I have been using one off and on for a bit ever since I put 32GB in my machine.

For software I have been using Softperfect's RAMDisk : High-performance RAM Disk for Windows.

I usually end up using for games with lots of loading screens and find that it certainly helps with loading screens. They were almost non-existent in ME2 when I had it on the ram disk. With that software you can also use it to create images and then mount that image as a ram drive. It will then save back to the image file on a regular basis (configurable) so you don't lose everything if you lose power or something.
Replace all the .bik loading screen videos w/ a shorter video and it will be even on an SSD.

Last edited by lowfat; May 11, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Replace all the .bik loading screen videos w/ a shorter ideo and it will be even on an SSD.
how would one like myself do this.
ZI guess I acan always use my duckduckgo search page to look lol

is that a mistype " ideo" was supposed to be video? if so I spent a few minutes searching before I rellized the mistake

Last edited by Shadowmeph; May 11, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old May 11, 2013, 09:24 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
how would one like myself do this.
ZI guess I acan always use my duckduckgo search page to look lol

is that a mistype " ideo" was supposed to be video? if so I spent a few minutes searching before I rellized the mistake

That comment just made my morning. I got a very good lawl out of it.

Ya it is suppose to be video.

Mass Effect 2 - PC Tweak to improve load time - YouTube

Guess the links don't work for the files. Well you can do them yourself, you just need to rename the old movie files to something else. Then replace all the .bik movies w/ the shortest one. Takes a couple of minutes but loading can be like 5x faster.

Quote:
This was posted by someone over at the Guru3d forums.

As odd as this may sound, the "loading" screen is just a prerendered .bik movie in your BioGame>Movies folder. Because of this, the game only loads when the .bik movie is finished playing, not when the game is actually loaded.

To fix this, simply go to your MassEffect2>BioGame>Movies folder, rename "load_f01" to "load_f01-bak", then copy "load_f99" and rename "load_f99 - Copy" to "load_f01". This should reduce your load time to about 3 seconds.
Use the load_f99 file and copy it to load_f01, load+_f02, load_f03, etc. Replace them all.

Last edited by lowfat; May 11, 2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:51 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What if raid 0 SSD array was not possible (like on amd motherboards due to no trim), then would a ramdrive combined with a single sata3 ssd have any function in gaming?

Or would the single SSD be more than enough?
Old May 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masteroderus View Post
What if raid 0 SSD array was not possible (like on amd motherboards due to no trim), then would a ramdrive combined with a single sata3 ssd have any function in gaming?

Or would the single SSD be more than enough?
Most people probably will not notice a big difference between a single SSD and a RAID 0 setup. I notice it when I am working but I doubt there is a massive difference in games. You are already moving files quick enough in most cases to make it seem almost instant. I have 7 Drives in RAID 0, I notice day to day stuff between my machine and other peoples, that being said my wife's machine is RAID 0 with 2 disks and I cant tell the difference between it and a single SSD(Next time around she will just get a single SSD).
Old May 14, 2013, 08:13 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i use the same one as ipaine. i have my temp and cache folders pointed to one (which is not set to save/restore, it just gets wiped and recreated every reboot, which only takes a few seconds). not sure if there is a perceptible difference in speed/usage, but i figure its taking a bit of load off my ssd (vertex 4 not in raid). i set up another one for gaming sometimes, but it only makes a difference for certain games, and only certain things (like texture pop-in, loading screens, those micro stutters you sometimes get in games with large streaming levels etc).

re: scratch disks - they are for when you run out of ram, so putting it in a ramdisk is counter productive.