Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2013, 09:32 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Upgrade GDDR5 Ram?

Forum Mods - Video card section or memory section?
Anyways
I have a pair of Sapphire HD5970's with inconsistant memory performance. I have found a reball/reflowing company to replace the memory chips. Is it possible to upgrade the ram in the process or will it saturate the existing onboard memory controller?

Present chips are Hynix H5GQ1H24AFR - T2C
1.5 vdd/vddq; 1gb; 8k/32ms refresh; 32Mx32; 16 banks running at 2.5 ghz

I would like to bump the ram to Hynix H5GQ2H24AFR - T2C
1.5 vdd/vddq; 2gb; 16k/32ms refresh;64Mx32; 16 banks running at 2.5 ghz

It would be a nice card upgrade if possible.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect

Although i have no answers as far as being knowledgeable in the situation, i am curious how this would effect the card. Have you gone ahead with you plan and reflowed the chips? - if so, what kind of performance do they get over vanilla(if any)?
Old March 19, 2013, 07:10 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I guess the reflow folks I was talking with have a policy over "commercial" products. After a quote was offered they said they didnt work on commercial products so its a shelved project atm.

If all went well each dual gpu card should be 4 gb memory up from 2 gb stock. There are some reviews of 4 and 6 gb cards out there for an idea of performance increase using the standard benchmarks.
The unknown variable is still the controller though.
Old March 21, 2013, 09:37 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Would the Card BIOS even handle the new memory? Or would you have to find an existing card that they did that to and flash each to a new BIOS to compensate?

I doubt that the original BIOS could run with the upgrade, but this is a realm above and beyond my scope TBH.
Cool idea though :)

Its a shame that place wouldn't re-flow them for you.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 23, 2013, 12:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

from what I have read in the review article of the radeon 7790 apparently the memory controller itself needs to support the speed of the RAM so a faster ram probably will not give you the expected boost.
Old March 23, 2013, 09:39 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Would the Card BIOS even handle the new memory? Or would you have to find an existing card that they did that to and flash each to a new BIOS to compensate?

I doubt that the original BIOS could run with the upgrade, but this is a realm above and beyond my scope TBH.
I think upgrading the quantity of RAM may not work as it's not going to be "mapped" in.

However, if you found the same style RAM ICs, but at a faster rated speed then that would give you some nice OC room and I can't really see that not working, providing the controller was never the bottleneck in the first place.