Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Upgrade GDDR5 Ram? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/60104-upgrade-gddr5-ram.html)

Shredder March 10, 2013 10:32 AM

Upgrade GDDR5 Ram?

Forum Mods - Video card section or memory section?
Anyways
I have a pair of Sapphire HD5970's with inconsistant memory performance. I have found a reball/reflowing company to replace the memory chips. Is it possible to upgrade the ram in the process or will it saturate the existing onboard memory controller?

Present chips are Hynix H5GQ1H24AFR - T2C
1.5 vdd/vddq; 1gb; 8k/32ms refresh; 32Mx32; 16 banks running at 2.5 ghz

I would like to bump the ram to Hynix H5GQ2H24AFR - T2C
1.5 vdd/vddq; 2gb; 16k/32ms refresh;64Mx32; 16 banks running at 2.5 ghz

It would be a nice card upgrade if possible.

genericllama March 18, 2013 08:19 AM

Although i have no answers as far as being knowledgeable in the situation, i am curious how this would effect the card. Have you gone ahead with you plan and reflowed the chips? - if so, what kind of performance do they get over vanilla(if any)?

Shredder March 19, 2013 08:10 AM

I guess the reflow folks I was talking with have a policy over "commercial" products. After a quote was offered they said they didnt work on commercial products so its a shelved project atm.:blarg:

If all went well each dual gpu card should be 4 gb memory up from 2 gb stock. There are some reviews of 4 and 6 gb cards out there for an idea of performance increase using the standard benchmarks.
The unknown variable is still the controller though.

Soultribunal March 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Would the Card BIOS even handle the new memory? Or would you have to find an existing card that they did that to and flash each to a new BIOS to compensate?

I doubt that the original BIOS could run with the upgrade, but this is a realm above and beyond my scope TBH.
Cool idea though :)

Its a shame that place wouldn't re-flow them for you.

-ST

MARSTG March 23, 2013 01:31 AM

from what I have read in the review article of the radeon 7790 apparently the memory controller itself needs to support the speed of the RAM so a faster ram probably will not give you the expected boost.

Perineum March 23, 2013 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 697899)
Would the Card BIOS even handle the new memory? Or would you have to find an existing card that they did that to and flash each to a new BIOS to compensate?

I doubt that the original BIOS could run with the upgrade, but this is a realm above and beyond my scope TBH.

I think upgrading the quantity of RAM may not work as it's not going to be "mapped" in.

However, if you found the same style RAM ICs, but at a faster rated speed then that would give you some nice OC room and I can't really see that not working, providing the controller was never the bottleneck in the first place.