Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 8, 2013, 07:59 PM
Rookie

Default Looking for registered server memory

Hey guys,

I'm working on a workstation build with the ASUS KGPE-D16 motherboard but I'm having trouble finding the ram modules listed on the QVL. All I'm looking for is 4GB 1600MHz ECC registered memory but almost all the modules listed in the QVL list seem to be all discontinued.

The specs can be seen here:
ASUS - Servers & Workstations- ASUS KGPE-D16

What are the implications of using similar RAM modules that aren't listed on the QVL?
From what I've gathered, some people are able to get away with it while others report problems.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is my first workstation build and I'm treading in unfamiliar territory so I apologize in advance if I'm asking stupid questions.

Last edited by 1n5ane; February 10, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old February 9, 2013, 03:30 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Do you have to use this board and an Opteron? Are you planning on filling up all the memory banks? If you're planning to have 32GB or less of ram, you could switch to a Xeon E3 and use unbuffered ECC ram with a supermicro board instead. 8GB sticks of unbuffered ECC ram is at a reasonable price now.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:29 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I've had a couple of D16s (one sitting next to me as I type this), and unless you absolutely need ECC, I never bothered with such sticks. I always used non-ECC, unregistered Gskills sticks - DDR3-1333 for Magny-Cours chips, and DDR3-1600 for Interlagos chips, minimum 2 per bank. 2, 4 or 8 Gbs don't matter. If you want more performance, increase to 4 sticks per bank for Quad-channel bandwidth performance.

Last edited by 3.0charlie; February 9, 2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old February 9, 2013, 06:33 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

You will probaly need to order it specificlly. Not a lot of ram like that around.
You could try these guys
Buy Kingston [KVR1600D3D8R11SK4/16GI] Kingston KVR1600D3D8R11SK4/16GI 16GB 4X4GB DDR3-1600 CL11 DIMM ECC Reg Quad Channel Memory Kit
Old February 9, 2013, 08:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Like 3.0 said you dont need the ECC ram with this board, I have the C32 Variant and have had the same board as you before as well. I just used Kingston 1600 Non ECC with no issues the ones with the blue heat sinks. Now I use a 64gb kit of 8x8gb 1600 ECC from Kingston due to the fact I got them as a parting gift from Kingston.

Used to use these ones Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuff Hmp HyperX CL9 they worked great in there for me
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old February 9, 2013, 09:32 AM
Rookie

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I probably should have mentioned earlier but I'm using the newer "Abu Dhabi" chips, specifically the 6320.
I am aware that the board will run non-ECC memory but considering the cost difference(~$5 more per stick) and the expansion possibilities, I somewhat prefer to use registered ECC.
There is plenty of registered ECC options but none are actually on the QVL list, what are the chances they won't work?

I'm looking at these modules:
Newegg.ca - Kingston 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Registered DDR3 1600 Server Memory DR x8 Intel Model KVR16R11D8/4I

Any advice is appreciated!
Old February 9, 2013, 10:31 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
Like 3.0 said you dont need the ECC ram with this board, I have the C32 Variant and have had the same board as you before as well. I just used Kingston 1600 Non ECC with no issues the ones with the blue heat sinks. Now I use a 64gb kit of 8x8gb 1600 ECC from Kingston due to the fact I got them as a parting gift from Kingston.

Used to use these ones Kingston KHX1600C9D3B1K2/8GX 8GB Kit 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3 240PIN DIMM Unbuff Hmp HyperX CL9 they worked great in there for me

If you run that many stucks of unregistered ram, you're going to have a bad time. They'll eventually become unstable.
Old February 10, 2013, 06:33 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

On 2 different 4P boards (Tyan and SM), I've never had an issue using non-ECC sticks, 4 per chip. Both were running full bore, not show cases...

OP, personally if unsure I'd definitely go for Kingston.
Old February 12, 2013, 09:17 AM
Top Prospect

Kingston has a memory compatibility checker as do most of major RAM vendors like Corsair, Crucial, etc. I highly recommend Kingston as their compatibility provides most thorough information including the configuration and how much RAM can be installed etc etc.

QVL lists very small amount of RAM and typically more commonly found in Asia but not necessarily in North America.
Old June 8, 2013, 05:21 PM
Rookie

I can't speak for your specific MB but from my own usage in servers I can say that whenever I've used non brand, non QVL RAM it's been fine.

I do take the effort to look up the chips used on the brand/QVL ram and the timings and match as closely as possible using what's readily (and cheaper) available.

For dual processor systems using registered RAM would be beneficial as the system will most likely down clock if using unregistered ram (In my system I can run 2 x registered DIMMS per channel at full speed or 3x DIMMS with 1 step downclock, using Unregistered dimms 1x per channel at full speed or 2x dimms at 2 steps downclocked (no option for 3x per channel)

Registered dimms I have also found to be more stable, and if running remote or unattended getting ECC serves well.