Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Crucial Shows off DDR4 Modules & Technology (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/59072-crucial-shows-off-ddr4-modules-technology.html)

SKYMTL January 10, 2013 10:32 AM

Crucial Shows off DDR4 Modules & Technology
 
With DDR4, memory technology takes a quantum leap forward with higher speeds, increased densities and lower power consumption.

Read more here: Crucial Shows off DDR4 Modules & Technology | Hardware Canucks

Fudd Rucker January 10, 2013 11:18 AM

Would it be safe to assume that DDR4 will debut with Haswell and whichever chip amd puts out later this year?

SKYMTL January 10, 2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker (Post 683543)
Would it be safe to assume that DDR4 will debut with Haswell and whichever chip amd puts out later this year?

No. Initially DDR4 will be available for HPC / server environments. Retail market implementations will likely come in late 2014.

Soultribunal January 10, 2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 683554)
No. Initially DDR4 will be available for HPC / server environments. Retail market implementations will likely come in late 2014.

I am going to assume about the same timeframe then for the motherboard and processor support too. Or would we be seeing that head of time?

-ST

SKYMTL January 10, 2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 683558)
I am going to assume about the same timeframe then for the motherboard and processor support too. Or would we be seeing that head of time?

-ST

Pretty much. I would say the first available platform will be Haswell EP or its equivalent.

botat29 January 10, 2013 02:10 PM

PCI-e 3.0 was not supposed to be available in 2012.

SKYMTL January 10, 2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botat29 (Post 683563)
PCI-e 3.0 was not supposed to be available in 2012.

When the PCI-SIG certified it, they listed devices as becoming available in 2011....

bliz January 12, 2013 06:55 AM

hey,it's nice but why would we need that right now? higher than 1333 mhz DDR3 ram in dual channel is totally useless for gamers.

Maybe for pros?

IRQ Conflict January 12, 2013 07:08 AM

Well, I was going to wait to upgrade to Haswell. Now, I think I'll go for a cheap i7 system and wait it out. Or maybe just buy a big juicy Dell U3011. But 2 years? Really?

ShinraCorp January 12, 2013 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bliz (Post 683868)
hey,it's nice but why would we need that right now? higher than 1333 mhz DDR3 ram in dual channel is totally useless for gamers.

Maybe for pros?

Well for RAMDisk it's something. Fastest thing to get access other than Cache Memory is RAM.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:15 AM.