Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   AMD RAM... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/57607-amd-ram.html)

BeaverBender October 30, 2012 01:04 PM

AMD RAM...

So, almost exactly a year ago, AMD decided in their infinite wisdom to get into the RAM business... although they are only really starting to sell their memory recently. Why, you may ask, would one want AMD RAM? Answer: absolutely no reason at all. This is a partnership with Patriot and VisionTek so no great selling point there. They are just another recent player in the already overcrowded memory business. You have to wonder at the intelligence (or lack thereof) of the leaders of AMD to decide to get into the business when margins are at an all-time low and competition never greater... yup, sounds like a winning strategy to me. But then again, AMD has a rich history of great decisions :whistle:

botat29 October 30, 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeaverBender (Post 667449)
Why, you may ask, would one want AMD RAM? :

I will say Why not ? I own their CPU, GPU , Chipset, why not RAM.

BeaverBender October 30, 2012 01:15 PM

touché :doh:

SKYMTL October 30, 2012 01:40 PM

I think it was just marketed wrong. They first introduced the horribly named Black Edition Memory Profiles (unfortunately, with the acronym BEMP) alongside the initial batches of Radeon memory. It was a failure.

Now, they've moved to a much more reasonable approach by including "AMP" AMD Memory Profiles into certain memory kits. Much like XMP, it does tend to help performance on supporting systems.

AkG October 30, 2012 01:41 PM

AMD RamDisk. Free version allows for (up to) a 6GB 'disk' with AMD branded Ram....and only 4GB with non AMD ram.

sswilson October 30, 2012 02:11 PM

In theory, it might be possible that the SPD settings for secondary settings are optimized for AMD chipsets / mem controllers / procs. In practice, I don't believe that's the case.

blade of grass November 26, 2012 03:04 PM

I don't think it really matters. It's just branded RAM, Intel did it too.
Intel even made a watercooler (which I couldn`t find a link for).

mike_lewis89 November 28, 2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blade of grass (Post 673589)
I don't think it really matters. It's just branded RAM, Intel did it too.
Intel even made a watercooler (which I couldn`t find a link for).

Not quite the same here. Intel had backed the linked RAM, AMD had Patriot and Visiontek OEM some RAM for them and then they sold it as their own product. IIRC that "Intel" RAM was released right around the Intel Extreme Masters event in which they used it as a sort of promotional type thing.

sf101 December 2, 2012 04:38 PM

reminds me of "Nvidia SLI Certified" mem anyone remember those 2000mhz kits from ocz. except when you stuck them in a 790i board they wouldn't work at rated speeds because the nvidia chipset couldn't handle the mhz.

Ya i RMA'd a set of those for exchange on a tripple kit of 1600mhz ocz. now i wish id have kept them for current ivy stuff and benching 9-9-9-28 1.8v most of those ram sticks would handle 2.1-2.2 ish v.

I should add my 2 cents tho on the AMD mem . if it helps with memory profiles on their amd boards i say all the power too them. there is nothing worse than haveing a great set of sticks and your board wont set the sub/tertiary timings on its own. and there is very little info out there on what to set anything in those respects.

Bond007 December 2, 2012 06:51 PM

While there is nothing that forces me to say "buy amd ram", there is also no reason to avoid it. Just more memory in a crowded market that benefits the consumer....I say the more the merrier.