Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2012, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Ram vs. SSD

Hey people. I currently only have four gigs of ram in my system. I play BF3 but it thrashes the drive so bad sometimes that it interferes with the game. I am leaning towards putting four two GB sticks of GSkill DDR2 PC-8500 in the computer. I'm thinking it would be better and cheaper than just putting an SSD in there. Although the system would benefit form both/either.

I can only install a maximum of eight gigs of ram and am limited to SATA II. Any thoughts on this?

TIA.
Old October 27, 2012, 12:50 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

BF3 uses around 3.5 gigs of ram so it's a bit short but if the drive is damaged or 5400rpm, put a new one, or a SSD.
Old October 27, 2012, 01:04 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Get a new system

Old October 27, 2012, 01:12 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

haha yes actually that's the best he can do :) i showed you some good ram but i'm not sure it will be useful with your specs :/
Old October 27, 2012, 03:36 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

I concur... you are pushing that rig of yours a lot with that game. Ram won't do much.
Old October 27, 2012, 05:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

If you get additional RAM and it doesn't satisfy your needs, then you've wasted money. On the other hand, if you get an SSD and it doesn't satisfy your needs, you can use it in a new rig and in the meantime enjoy the greatly improved responsiveness.
Old October 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I would try the second stick of ram if you can get it for cheap and overclock the cpu and video card further. Otherwise look at a new system with SSD. 5870 might still be good enough in the new build.

edit: by ''thrashing the drive" do you mean it is constantly loading from the drive and slowing the game down? You could benefit from more ram in that case.
Old October 27, 2012, 10:30 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I would try the second stick of ram if you can get it for cheap and overclock the cpu and video card further. Otherwise look at a new system with SSD. 5870 might still be good enough in the new build.

edit: by ''thrashing the drive" do you mean it is constantly loading from the drive and slowing the game down? You could benefit from more ram in that case.
<---This. My CPU is fine with the game @ 3.2Ghz. The video card however is a little long in the tooth but plays it fine @1650 on high preset. My drives are 7400RPM ones. They are fast enough It's just that I seem to be running out of memory every so often and once the swapping starts it doesn't seem to end.

I can get 8 gigs for about $128.00. Which is half the cost of an SSD. I don't think it's a waste really. This computer is still a good way off from needing to be replaced.

Edit: Does anyone know if these Gskills would play nice with my OCZ ram? The voltage requirements seem to be on par. If that were the case my upgrade would only cost $64.00

Last edited by IRQ Conflict; October 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

First, increasing your ram will not produce any noticeable improvement as your cpu and/or chipset is probably bottlenecking.

Second, strictly gaming wise, a 170$ pentium g850/H61 will run circles around your rig. If spending 130$ is ok with your budget, then save up a little more and upgrade your system according to your own needs.

Third, the ssd suggestion gets my vote. A good branded 80-90$ ssd is quite enough for windows and many games. I've yet to fill my 111 gb, and i upgraded from a vertex 2 50gb i constantly needed to empty. If you really don't want to upgrade, then at least you will feel the performance difference your money bought you.

Fourth, I repeat, buying ddr2 is wasting your money. You could buy a 16gb ddr3-1600 kit for the price of 4gb more of good ddr2...

Battlefield 3 is just out of your current sytem's grasp. Sorry man...

Just my two cents.
Old October 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks for your feedback Feanor. But the truth is I play BF3 with a mix of Med. High and Ultra settings at 1680x1050 dpi just fine. On the order of 70FPS average. No, it's either the lack of ram or HDD causing me the grief.

I just updated the drivers to the new betas. They seem to improve things. It doesn't happen all the time. If it did then I would blame the outdated system. But it is not. Further If I really dumb things down I get over 100FPS with this "outdated" rig.