Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 17, 2008, 08:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking Which would you choose?

Thought I'd say hello first... came across the site a little while back and it's been a great help in building my newest system. Anyways, hi!

Soo I am trying to decide on memory. I've got a Q6600 on an EVGA 750i FTW

I'm going with 8gigs total.. why not? DDR2 is CHEAP haha

Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 5-4-4-12 - $90.00 each

or

Corsair XMS2 DHX TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX 4GB DDR2 2X2GB PC2-6400 DDR2-800 CL 5-5-5-18 - 129.99 each

or

G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-5-5-15 - 129.00 each

I'm normally a Corsair "fanboi" for sure.. but I'm not afraid of options - I'm leaning towards the Corsair here but that Mushkin price point can't be beat. NCIX has a $40.00 rebate on Corsair but it'll be gone by the time I order all my parts.

I've got no experience with G.Skill or Mushkin at all... so my question is what would be best if I wanted to OC them a bit (I plan on sitting my Q6600 at around 3.0ghz)?

Thanks!
Old April 17, 2008, 09:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

I'm on my fourth computer using Mushkins, and they're definitely solid, although I'm afraid that I can't offer any personal experience for the other brands. If you're only looking for 3.0 GHz, all those kits offer plenty of headroom to work with.

That aside, do a little searching for other people's experience with the 750i chipset and 8GB combos. Some boards will give you grief for filling all four memory slots, even before you start overclocking. Additionally, the average person will have trouble using 4GB, let alone 8 GB of memory. Even if it's cheap, might not be worth the bother.
Old April 17, 2008, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's what I thought until I read the review on Toms hardware about the benefits of it. I'm not too afraid, if the 8gigs gives me trouble I'll put 4 of it in my other system that I let my little sister use. But thanks for the heads up.. definitely a concern on my list.. I'll take a look for some specific 750i/8gig people.

I'd like to give the Mushkin a try, I've always used ASUS/Corsair up until this system so I'm feeling adventurous.. Trying my first EVGA and hell I may as well jump on the Mushkin too! heh

Thanks MpG

edit: typos
Old April 17, 2008, 09:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only ram from those three thats listed on the EVGA website for the 750i as "other memory modules may also work, the following are known compatible memory kits" is the G.SKILL F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ..

Kinda wanted to try out the Mushkin for the hell of it.. how important is it to keep to their "suggested" list?
Old April 17, 2008, 09:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I've always ignored them, but considering recent issues with Ballistix and P35 motherboards I might be paying closer attention for the next little while.

Best bet is to do your research to see if other folks are running a particular brand on your motherboard to find out if they've had any issues.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 17, 2008, 09:51 PM
Hall Of Fame

I know the article that you're talking about, but do those examples apply to you?

Frankly, it's a rather poorly-done article for the most part. Not one comparison graph. No listed problems with 4GB running. No actual documented improvements with 8GB over 4GB. They DO show you how even with 8GB, in a 64-bit environment, the extra memory might NOT do anything for you. Really, it's harder than most people think to max out 4 GB of RAM unless you're getting into heavy Audio/Video/Virtualization processing.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be wet blanket (Honest!), and it sounds like you're aware of the possibilities, so I'll shut up now.

As for the recommended lists, I submit that any motherboard that can't run a Corsair XMS2 or a Mushkin HP2 module should probably be incinerated.
Old April 17, 2008, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Haha yeah that's probably true.. and any info is always welcome MpG. I'm trying to get some more info from EVGA and looking elsewhere for reviews etc etc..

The -only- reason I'm gonna grab the extra ram is because of how cheap it really is and if I can't get it working I will honestly just stuff it in my P4D 3.0 system lol

So far no word on the EVGA website, we'll see what they say :D

Thanks again!

Oh edit: I am actually an audio engineer by trade so, although not my main rig for work.. I would probably be using it from time to time at home for various audio/video works :) lol
Old April 17, 2008, 10:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpG View Post
I know the article that you're talking about, but do those examples apply to you?

Frankly, it's a rather poorly-done article for the most part. Not one comparison graph. No listed problems with 4GB running. No actual documented improvements with 8GB over 4GB. They DO show you how even with 8GB, in a 64-bit environment, the extra memory might NOT do anything for you. Really, it's harder than most people think to max out 4 GB of RAM unless you're getting into heavy Audio/Video/Virtualization processing.

Anyway, I'm not trying to be wet blanket (Honest!), and it sounds like you're aware of the possibilities, so I'll shut up now.

As for the recommended lists, I submit that any motherboard that can't run a Corsair XMS2 or a Mushkin HP2 module should probably be incinerated.
Yeah....i don't hold much stock in THG articles anymore. I'd be very surprised if the Corsair caused any problems.
Old April 17, 2008, 11:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Tanker View Post
Yeah....i don't hold much stock in THG articles anymore. I'd be very surprised if the Corsair caused any problems.
I hear you there too, I did see a few articles lately that I was a little iffy on. Hence my stumbling upon this site! haha
Old April 18, 2008, 07:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Update: The only info I've been able to find on any issue with a 750i and 8gigs of RAM is a couple of overclockers not being able to push the memory controller as hard - I'm sure this would be probably be a present issue on all motherboards correct? I guess I'll just order the memory and try and overclock my system slowly; then see what I can get out of it. :D