Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 18, 2008, 06:53 AM
Rookie

You are planning to run Vista 64 or XP 64, right?
Old April 18, 2008, 07:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Talking

Yes, most definitely.
Old April 18, 2008, 07:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by encorp View Post
Update: The only info I've been able to find on any issue with a 750i and 8gigs of RAM is a couple of overclockers not being able to push the memory controller as hard - I'm sure this would be probably be a present issue on all motherboards correct? I guess I'll just order the memory and try and overclock my system slowly; then see what I can get out of it. :D
I'd be surprised if squeezing the same OC out of memory wasn't an issue with 8 gig.... :)

With every new breed of CPU running at higher stock FSB, the speed/quality of ram chosen becomes more and more important because of the inability of Intel platforms to run slower than 1:1 on the FSB. This is why I strongly suggest that folks pick up PC2 8000 or better.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old April 18, 2008, 07:15 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'd be surprised if squeezing the same OC out of memory wasn't an issue with 8 gig.... :)

With every new breed of CPU running at higher stock FSB, the speed/quality of ram chosen becomes more and more important because of the inability of Intel platforms to run slower than 1:1 on the FSB. This is why I strongly suggest that folks pick up PC2 8000 or better.
I'm not opposed to that at all, I'd even consider 8500 tbh, maybe I'll check out some prices and so on in that regards now too!

Ha, I'm so close to ordering everything and I keep delaying it over decisions like this!

Thanks sswilson! :P

lol
Old April 18, 2008, 07:28 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, these are my options:

Corsair XMS2 Dominator TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF 4GB 2X2GB PC2-8500 DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28709

Mushkin XP PC2-8000 Redline 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-12
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=28269

G.SKILL F2-8000CL5D-4GBPQ PC2-8000 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1000 CL5-5-5-15
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26456

That corsair is hot and that Mushkin dosn't look bad either - although I know nothing about Redline.. so I'll have to squander over to that post someone has here about it and read haha. Not really excited about that G.Skill.. I'd take the Corsair over it.

So my question; Should I just get 4 gigs of either the Mushkin or Corsair instead? I can afford 8 but would it limit me from hitting 3.0ghz on that Q6600?

Thanks again for all the replies; hugely helpful so far!!
Old April 18, 2008, 07:41 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A q6600 @ 400FSB (pc-6400) would be OC'ed to 3.6HGz....now if you go with the 9450 at some point THATS a whole different ball game! q9450 @ 400FSB is 3.2GHz. You'll hit a wall with the CPU long before you have to worry about MUSHKIN mem failing on you! If you can afford the Mushkin redline go for it, if you want to save a few bucks go for the Mushkin 6400s. The 6400 should get you to 450FSB w/ proper voltage. With Mushkin 8500s....damn near sky (or at least the motherboard) is the limit!

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old April 18, 2008, 08:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

After a bunch of research etc I think I will pick up the Mushkin Redline and see what I can do! I'm going to go and post my whole intended system for critiques in the other forum.. I'm pretty sure it's good to go but I could use some discussion just to solidify! (Plus it's fun! haha)

Thanks everyone!
Old April 18, 2008, 10:27 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The only one I can comment on is the Mushkin since its what I have. I like it, and use it in my daily pc. If you have questions post here and I can help.
Old April 18, 2008, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Just a couple of notes here:
I cannot say for sure about the 750i Board, but I have an Evga 780i A1 board and I also was (and still am) trying out various RAM combinations!
firstly, the Evga website only lists a small amount of Memory that WILL actually run fine on an Evga Board. Best bet is to Log On to the Evga Web site and go to the Forums and ask....you'll likely get replies on whether or not various unlisted Brands run without issues.
also, while on that Forum, have a look at the various "Signatures" of many of the "OC'ers etc, seeing if you can find the same combo as your.....and email them with questions (from experience).
The Evga 780i board is absolutly fantastic, for myself anyhow being a Rookie OC'er. Very easy to understand the process, great n easy to use BIOS, excellent instruction Book and fantastic Online Support....good job Evga!
Also, cannot forget thier Step-up Program! Another plus from Evga!
Like yourself, Evga was a first for myself, I had previously had Asus and Gigabit, but found the Evga 780i Board interesting and worth a look.
Some negative comments (within this Forum when I first built) was a concern with heat ......what heat??? Southbridge, Northbridge Temps are all great at 3.8 OC....actually, check out the results of the Extreme OC'ers on the Evga Web site Forum running both 780i and 790i Boards, for the most part I believe their pretty satisfied.
Back to Memory, I was running 4 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer (all slots full) with absolutly no issues.
CPU (E8400) running at 3.8 Ghz, Unlinked (very good option with the 780i) and Memory at 4-4-4-12 1T @ 2.15v all 4 Sticks.

Now, I have 2 x 2GB mushkin XP PC2 Redline 8000 (in transit from Ontario ).....oh, thanks Eldonko for that review, you n Mushkin convinced me to try it out! Anyhow, did the same, lots of researching to try and find folks with "Mushkin Issues" on 780i Boards, as Evga doesn't list Mushkin Redlines as compatible. however, mushkin Website also has a compatability checker, very handy, and thier are success stories with Mushkin and Evga Boards.

anyhow, point being, not everything you read is gospel, find several different sources of info and "go for it"

Enjoy your Evga Board!

Cheers

Old April 18, 2008, 09:21 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Awesome RJ, thanks a lot.. really looking forward to this Mushkin (and the system) now!

P.s. I did post on the evga forums, no one said a word.. well one guy said "wtf dude yuo need 8gig for wow" or something equally retarded! lol

Thanks!