Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23, 2012, 03:19 AM
Rookie

Question Dual, tripple, quad - What does it actually mean?

Ok. I've been reading around forums trying to find out what the deal with dual, tripple and quad channel memory is, and I would simply like to get a yes or no if I understand this correctly:

All DDR3 ram sticks are the same, and what determines if it you have dual, tripple or quad channel memory, is the memory controller on the motherboard. Considering this, you can use any DDR3 memory stick for quad channel memory, as long as you have 4 identical ones. Say i.e. you have two sets of "dual channel memory sticks", these would work in a quad channel setup (as long as everything is within the borders of what the motherboard can do).

Is this right, or am I totaly off target?
Old August 23, 2012, 04:12 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Yup your right...
Old August 23, 2012, 10:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yes. You're the first person I've seen ask the question that had it right. I've explained it a few times over the last couple of years.
Old August 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The only caveat that I'd add is that (IMO) adding memory of the same make/model at a later date won't always ensure fully compatible memory. Mem manufacturers have a habit of changing their chips without changing the SKU as long as the main settings remain the same (i.e. 9-9-9-24) which sometimes can result in large differences for the secondary settings that most folks don't normally see or mess with.

With that in mind, I personally buy my sets all together in the hopes that I get the same lot (and thus the exact same chips).

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old August 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys! :)
Old August 24, 2012, 02:29 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
The only caveat that I'd add is that (IMO) adding memory of the same make/model at a later date won't always ensure fully compatible memory. Mem manufacturers have a habit of changing their chips without changing the SKU as long as the main settings remain the same (i.e. 9-9-9-24) which sometimes can result in large differences for the secondary settings that most folks don't normally see or mess with.

With that in mind, I personally buy my sets all together in the hopes that I get the same lot (and thus the exact same chips).
Yeah so True when they change the Chips you can get some wierd stuff. Thats why I buy it in Kits so I can be sure I get stuff that will play nice together.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 9, 2012, 07:31 AM
Top Prospect

I don't believe this is partially true anymore. I do believe there is a difference in quad vs dual channel memory in the sense that manufactures who are making quad channel motherboards, do not test dual channel kits in their boards.

I recently purchased a P9X79 Pro quad channel board, it has 8 DIMs on it. I am using Corsair 16gb (4x4gb) 1600 dual channel kit for ram. The boards manual said to place 2 chips on each side of the board ( each side of board has 4 DIM slots ). So I do this, memory crashes the system and windows only picks up 3/4 chips of ram. RMA'd the board, same thing. Bought new RAM same thing. Called Asus tech they said they don't test dual channel kits and when you do the config the manual tells you the memory trys to run in quad mode. This doesn't work well with all configs, their solution was to put all chips in the same side then the board would run in dual mode. No issues after that.

Hope this helps anyone having issues with ram in the new X79 boards. BTW: tried a friends quad channel kit, worked perfectly.
Old September 9, 2012, 11:30 AM
Hall Of Fame

Tested or not, the channels are all accessed at the same time (The concept of dual/tri/quad channel itself) thus increasing DAT SPEED. The reason you probably had issues is that dual channel memory's timings (particularly secondaries) can be tighter by default (SPD), which of course, crashes the system. Just can't handle those tighter timings. What's more odd about that explanation is that windows only picked up three sticks out of four.