Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Dual, tripple, quad - What does it actually mean? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/56277-dual-tripple-quad-what-does-actually-mean.html)

hansy1401 August 23, 2012 02:19 AM

Dual, tripple, quad - What does it actually mean?

Ok. I've been reading around forums trying to find out what the deal with dual, tripple and quad channel memory is, and I would simply like to get a yes or no if I understand this correctly:

All DDR3 ram sticks are the same, and what determines if it you have dual, tripple or quad channel memory, is the memory controller on the motherboard. Considering this, you can use any DDR3 memory stick for quad channel memory, as long as you have 4 identical ones. Say i.e. you have two sets of "dual channel memory sticks", these would work in a quad channel setup (as long as everything is within the borders of what the motherboard can do).

Is this right, or am I totaly off target? :doh:

maverick_brent August 23, 2012 03:12 AM

Yup your right...

SugarJ August 23, 2012 09:13 AM

Yes. You're the first person I've seen ask the question that had it right. I've explained it a few times over the last couple of years.

sswilson August 23, 2012 09:22 AM

The only caveat that I'd add is that (IMO) adding memory of the same make/model at a later date won't always ensure fully compatible memory. Mem manufacturers have a habit of changing their chips without changing the SKU as long as the main settings remain the same (i.e. 9-9-9-24) which sometimes can result in large differences for the secondary settings that most folks don't normally see or mess with.

With that in mind, I personally buy my sets all together in the hopes that I get the same lot (and thus the exact same chips).

hansy1401 August 24, 2012 06:58 AM

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Soultribunal August 24, 2012 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 650598)
The only caveat that I'd add is that (IMO) adding memory of the same make/model at a later date won't always ensure fully compatible memory. Mem manufacturers have a habit of changing their chips without changing the SKU as long as the main settings remain the same (i.e. 9-9-9-24) which sometimes can result in large differences for the secondary settings that most folks don't normally see or mess with.

With that in mind, I personally buy my sets all together in the hopes that I get the same lot (and thus the exact same chips).

Yeah so True when they change the Chips you can get some wierd stuff. Thats why I buy it in Kits so I can be sure I get stuff that will play nice together.

-ST

zypho September 9, 2012 06:31 AM

I don't believe this is partially true anymore. I do believe there is a difference in quad vs dual channel memory in the sense that manufactures who are making quad channel motherboards, do not test dual channel kits in their boards.

I recently purchased a P9X79 Pro quad channel board, it has 8 DIMs on it. I am using Corsair 16gb (4x4gb) 1600 dual channel kit for ram. The boards manual said to place 2 chips on each side of the board ( each side of board has 4 DIM slots ). So I do this, memory crashes the system and windows only picks up 3/4 chips of ram. RMA'd the board, same thing. Bought new RAM same thing. Called Asus tech they said they don't test dual channel kits and when you do the config the manual tells you the memory trys to run in quad mode. This doesn't work well with all configs, their solution was to put all chips in the same side then the board would run in dual mode. No issues after that.

Hope this helps anyone having issues with ram in the new X79 boards. BTW: tried a friends quad channel kit, worked perfectly.

LarkStarr September 9, 2012 10:30 AM

Tested or not, the channels are all accessed at the same time (The concept of dual/tri/quad channel itself) thus increasing DAT SPEED. The reason you probably had issues is that dual channel memory's timings (particularly secondaries) can be tighter by default (SPD), which of course, crashes the system. Just can't handle those tighter timings. What's more odd about that explanation is that windows only picked up three sticks out of four.