Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Question about using extra memory (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/55914-question-about-using-extra-memory.html)

Griezz August 5, 2012 10:55 AM

Question about using extra memory

Fact: Z77 motherboards can use up to 32 GB of RAM.
Fact: Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit can only handle 16 GB of RAM.

Question: If I install the full 32 GB of RAM on my motherboard, could I set the system up such that the 16 GB of RAM that the operating system cannot handle is used to make a 15 or 16 GB RAMdisk? That should speed the system up a little more and save a little wear & tear on a boot SSD, yes?

enaberif August 5, 2012 11:10 AM

Nope.

Ram is os level and it will only see what the os can see. A 16gb ram disk is very unnecessary. Want all the ram get pro or ultimate

BryceBooth August 5, 2012 08:32 PM

You could check out Dataram's RAMDisk, you would need to pay extra to unlock the 4GB capacity limit on the free version. It won't be useable as a boot drive, but it should detect the remainder of your available memory. Personally, I'd just make the jump to 7 Pro x64.

RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram

Chareon August 5, 2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryceBooth (Post 646829)
You could check out Dataram's RAMDisk, you would need to pay extra to unlock the 4GB capacity limit on the free version. It won't be useable as a boot drive, but it should detect the remainder of your available memory. Personally, I'd just make the jump to 7 Pro x64.

After taking a look at the software, it looks like most other ramdisk software it runs at the OS level and as such will not detect any memory unsupported by the OS.

BlueByte August 6, 2012 07:20 AM

Never used it but I have read it is more stable then the Dataram setup.

RamDisk - Microsoft Certified Software

One of the features from what I remember is RAM disks were outside the OS limitations. Might be worth a look.

yvesj August 25, 2012 03:33 PM

ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 646718)
Nope.

Ram is os level and it will only see what the os can see. A 16gb ram disk is very unnecessary. Want all the ram get pro or ultimate

max on 64 bits is 8gbs and on 32 bits it 4 gbs .
so you have 16 or 32 it is a waste of money .
but if you on window 7 pro then you go has hight 192 gbs

enaberif August 25, 2012 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yvesj (Post 651203)
max on 64 bits is 8gbs and on 32 bits it 4 gbs .
so you have 16 or 32 it is a waste of money .
but if you on window 7 pro then you go has hight 192 gbs

Uhm.. no.

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

Max on 64bit is 192gb but depending on the OS it can be either 8gb or 16gb where 8 is limited to Basic and 16 limited to HP.

supaflyx3 August 25, 2012 03:42 PM

What? You have no idea what you're talking about.

yvesj August 25, 2012 04:41 PM

no this is right what he is saying .i will send you some to read on my next reply or post
you should google about it a little

yvesj August 25, 2012 04:46 PM

here read this .
Windows 7 has got a little bump in terms of the maximum limit of random access memory supported by the operating system in comparison to its precursor. If Windows Vista could deal with only 128 GB of RAM, customers will be able to add an additional 64 GB of system memory on computers running Windows 7. That’s right, Windows 7 is capable of playing nice with no less than 192 GB of RAM. But of course that there is a catch. Users will need to run certain editions of the latest Windows client platform from Microsoft in order to be able to feed as much as 192 GB of system memory to the operating system.

Do not expect to pass the 4 GB limit with the 32-bit flavors of Windows 7. In this regard, x86 Windows 7 doesn’t differentiate between SKUs. It really doesn’t matter if users run the Home Basic or the Ultimate edition of 32-bit Windows 7, as the maximum supported RAM limit is 4GB. Still, Windows 7 won’t be able to use the entire 4 GB. Fact is that, just as previous 32-bit Windows releases, including Vista and Windows XP, Windows 7’s address space is limited to 4 GB. In 4 GB the operating system will need to accommodate all the hardware components available, thus making it impossible to address 4 GB of RAM. Instead, 32-bit Windows 7 will only go as high as 3.2 to 3.5 GB of RAM out of a total of 4 GB.

The situation is a tad different when it comes down to 64-bit Windows 7. In this case there is a discrepancy in terms of SKUs. X64 Windows 7 Home Basic can only deal with a maximum of 8 GB of RAM. I don’t know if any of you remember this, but the same was the case with Windows Vista Home Basic.

However, Microsoft has increased the maximum RAM supported by x64 Windows 7 Home Premium. For Vista, Home Premium was stuck at 16 GB of RAM, an this is also valid for Windows 7 Home Premium.

But the high-end edition of Windows 7, as well as its counterpart for Volume Licensing customers, support a total of 192 GB of RAM without any issues. This is in fact the biggest advantage by far of 64-bit Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate SKUs, namely that users will be able to leverage system resources, and particular system memory, beyond what the 32-bit editions are capable of supporting.