Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Can I & should I upgrade my RAM? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/55619-can-i-should-i-upgrade-my-ram.html)

sakage.shinga July 21, 2012 02:57 PM

Can I & should I upgrade my RAM?

Hi guys,

I'm currently running four sticks of G. Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9-2GBRL (= 8GB RAM total). Ever since the beginning, I've been getting random BSODs, but lately, it's been more frequent. Most of the BSODs says PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA, which apparently means either bad memory or bad hdd. Now, I've done several disk checks to rule out hdd failure, and so I'm guessing that it's the ram that need replacing (I ran memtest86+ two passes, but no errors, either).

Having said that, I also just found out that I should have set BIOS AI Tweaker to XMP (extreme memory profile), which I never did in the beginning, and so I have been limited to DDR3-1333 instead of the full 1600 speeds. Could this have been what caused the BSODs?

If XMP isn't going to fix it, then that I means I need new ram sticks. I can't find the same sticks anymore, but I did find G. Skill Ripjaws X-series F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (two sticks x 4GB each). However, my mobo, P7P55D Pro, isn't listed on the G. Skill official site under qualified mobo list. I'm thinking that this won't matter since it's still DDR3-1600.

So my questions are as follows:

1) Do most of you agree that it's the memory that needs replacing, and not just the matter of switching to XMP?
2) And if so, will the new sticks be compatible with my i5 and P7P55D Pro mobo?
3) And, is the new ram at least as good performance wise as my old ram?

Thanks!

supaflyx3 July 21, 2012 03:09 PM

1) Running under rated speeds shouldnt cause BSODs, 2) make sure your timings are all correct and do it manually first before making a purchase.

sakage.shinga July 21, 2012 03:41 PM

I switched BIOS to XMP profile #1. According to G. Skill, not running XMP can damage my memory over time since the voltage fluctuates. I'm thinking I might upgrade regardless. The only concern is that my mobo isn't listed under qualified mobo...

TopDogZero July 21, 2012 05:24 PM

Hi sakage, my setup is close to yours and I have experience similar problems in the past.
Make sure your ram is at correct voltage (I think XMP will set proper voltage) and do you get BSOD's when not overclocked? What settings do you have for your overclock?

zsamz_ July 21, 2012 06:18 PM

running 4 stix set your voltage to a minimum of 1.65v

Adzsask July 21, 2012 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 643589)
running 4 stix set your voltage to a minimum of 1.65v

^ not to sure on this one, went from 6 sticks of 2GB, to 4GB. The new sticks can almost run stock speeds @ 1.5v easily @1.6v, where the old corsair sticks needed 1.65 to even work@1333MHz.

sakage.shinga July 21, 2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopDogZero (Post 643582)
Hi sakage, my setup is close to yours and I have experience similar problems in the past.
Make sure your ram is at correct voltage (I think XMP will set proper voltage) and do you get BSOD's when not overclocked? What settings do you have for your overclock?

Thanks. Yeah I didn't know about G. Skill memory needing constant 1.5v and so I had BIOS DRAM settings all at auto, which changes the voltage.

I do get BSODs regardless of overclock, but I'm suspecting that it was due to me not using XMP mode.

When I did overclock, I simply set BCLK to 190 and CPU ratio to 19. Changing to XMP, however, sets the BCLK to 160 and CPU ratio to 17.

I'm still looking for an overclock guide for my i5-750 that uses XMP mode.

TopDogZero July 22, 2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakage.shinga (Post 643607)
Thanks. Yeah I didn't know about G. Skill memory needing constant 1.5v and so I had BIOS DRAM settings all at auto, which changes the voltage.

I do get BSODs regardless of overclock, but I'm suspecting that it was due to me not using XMP mode.

When I did overclock, I simply set BCLK to 190 and CPU ratio to 19. Changing to XMP, however, sets the BCLK to 160 and CPU ratio to 17.

I'm still looking for an overclock guide for my i5-750 that uses XMP mode.

If you can setup ram manually (like my board) then you don't need to set it to XMP, find the voltage for your ram and set it manually, then you can play around with speed and timings on the ram with your overclock. I had issues BSOD's and fail overclocks because ram voltage was set too low for my kit.
I think most 1600 MHz kits run at 1.65v but I also have 1600MHz kit that runs at 1.5v so check G.Skill site for the specs on your kit. If that fails then you might need more voltage to the memory controller but I doubt it since your getting BOSD's when not overclocked.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your ram and buying new stuff would be a waste unless your buying it to add (16BG) :punk:.

Perineum July 22, 2012 10:39 AM

Just run memtest86+

It'll test your settings....

sakage.shinga July 23, 2012 04:31 PM

Memtest86+ didn't show any problems after two passes, but I still experienced random BSODs. Replaced with a new set of X-series and everything is now smooth a butter.

Contacted G Skill for RMA but if I have to spend $30 for shipping then I might as well not bother.

What do you guys normally do for RMA shipping?