e6750
4x1gb of ram
8800gts 512mb
Vista x64

this is my gaming machine

is it worth upgrading to 4x2gb=8gb or ram or I won't see a difference
Old April 4, 2008, 09:32 PM
Allstar

I would stay with your current setup. However, it would make sense to upgrade to 8GB if you were running a server.
Old April 4, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would say no. I have a bunch of 4GB kits and just run 1. I see 0 improvement with 8 for the stuff I do.
Old April 7, 2008, 10:35 AM
MVP

If you run memory-hungry applications, like using Photoshop with large files or opening Firefox with hundreds of tabs, then you may use the extra memory. Otherwise, I don't think even the most high end games will be faster with 8GB (compared to 4GB).
Old April 7, 2008, 10:49 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Check out this article done by TomsHardware, deals specifically with the benefits/detriments of having 8Gigs of RAM for vista.
Vista Workshop: More RAM, More Speed | Tom's Hardware
Old April 7, 2008, 10:50 AM
MVP

If you have to ask, then no.

I wish I could put 8gb of ram in my system, but when you run out of ram, you'll notice, either with stuttering in games, or with horridly slow paging when trying to get anything done.
Old April 10, 2008, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

There's an interesting comment in the last paragraph on page 5 of that Tom's Hardware read. Anyone have any opinions on that?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old April 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame

The upshot is that it doesn't make sense to install a 64 bit version of Vista in order to better utilize 4 GB of memory simply because the 32 bit version would only recognize 3.5 GB. The problem is that while it is true that you would "gain" the missing memory, you would also immediately lose it to the system due to the 64 bit version's larger memory footprint. Thus, using a 64 bit version really only makes sense with larger memory sizes.

Yes makes perfect sense!

What they are saying is that if you have a 64bit OS with 4+ gb of memory Vista is gonna take a larger chunk of that to reserve it for the OS which equals in less physical memory for programs and such to use.

When using a 32bit OS with 4gb or less of memory Vista won't allocate as much to the OS thus giving you more physical memory.

Which is why I keep saying this: 64bit is not needed, won't be mainstream and the only people who are running it are running it just cause. There are truly people out there who can benefit from a 64bit oS like 3d Modellers and Audio/Video people, but in reality most people just use it cause.

32bit will be perfectly fine and capable for many years to come and just install 4gb if you wish and accept that only 3-3.5 will ever be available.
Old April 10, 2008, 11:43 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by biff View Post
There's an interesting comment in the last paragraph on page 5 of that Tom's Hardware read. Anyone have any opinions on that?
Well, if you look at their numbers, they still gain 307MB by running 64-bit with 4GB. Good programmers can make their 64-bit compiles take very little extra memory over the 32-bit versions.

At 4GB, I'd say it doesn't really make much difference if you're using 32-bit or 64-bit, lower than that, might as well use 32-bit, and >4GB, you should definately be using 64-bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
32bit will be perfectly fine and capable for many years to come and just install 4gb if you wish and accept that only 3-3.5 will ever be available.
Want to bet on that? A number of newer games have trouble with 32-bit memory limits (STALKER, Supreme Commander, The Witcher). 4GB of total memory usage is easy to hit with multitasking. My general programs that I keep open take about 2GB, if I want to open a game, it takes the rest of that. If I'm doing anything particularly memory intensive (video editing, graphics work, compressing files), I can't game without closing the application.

OEM machines are shipping with 3-4GB max now because of the 32-bit limit, I expect this to become too little memory for general use in the next 2-3 years, at most, when Dell starts shipping out 64-bit as standard, then we'll really see mass adoption.

FWIW, while the Tom's article has some good information, it also has some serious flaws, so be careful with the info you get out of it.
Old April 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
Allstar

Is it feasible to disable the page file while running 4GB of RAM? (3.5GB seen by windows in XP 32bit)
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.