Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Why was this RAM so expensive?

Corsair Dominator GT 6GB Triple Channel 2000MHZ 7-8-7-20 (CMG6GX3M3A2000C7)Fan included.

This ram cost me 489.99 from NCIX and I have regretted buying it for a long time now. (Yes, it was a mistake I know ) I never looked into why it was so expensive but have recently rejoined this forum and thought I would get some answers out of the experienced/knowledgeable people of why the price tag was so high. I believe I bought it back in summer of 2010. Also, what could it possibly be worth now?
Attached Images

Last edited by deinosaur; April 19, 2012 at 01:27 AM.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Worth now? You'd be lucky to get someone to pay you $100 for it. That is crazy fast and tight ram and it was very specially binned when you bought it. I don't think anyone saw DDR3 prices coming down to the levels they are at now as well. Either way, unless you are up for a big loss, no sense in selling. I can remember many years ago buying some team Extreme DDR2-6400 2X1GB for nearly $400 new so that is the price you pay when you want the bleeding edge of performance.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:58 AM
MVP

My System Specs

ah man. I think we've all been there...
buying up stuff cause it either looked cool at the time,
or promised to do something better than last weeks model.
GL on your sales though, the bundle you've got should catch someones attention.
Old April 19, 2012, 05:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You spent more on RAM than your CPU!
Old April 19, 2012, 06:03 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yea super speeds and tight timings will ultimately cost you an arm and a leg especially back in the day when DDR3 was fairly pricey. Now it's not worth nearly as much but hey they at least still look cool.

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Old April 19, 2012, 06:04 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah it really was a speciality thing back in the day when you purchased it. At a Point when 4 GB of regular DDR3 was costing 140-160 depending on the type.

As stated above people have all done this, I remember getting Mushkin Redlines when DDR2 was really picking up speed...and that cost a small fortune.

I guess its the same for almost all hardware..

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old April 19, 2012, 06:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Worth now? You'd be lucky to get someone to pay you $100 for it. That is crazy fast and tight ram and it was very specially binned when you bought it. I don't think anyone saw DDR3 prices coming down to the levels they are at now as well. Either way, unless you are up for a big loss, no sense in selling. I can remember many years ago buying some team Extreme DDR2-6400 2X1GB for nearly $400 new so that is the price you pay when you want the bleeding edge of performance.
I still have 4x1gb of that in box! I was lucky and got it when Ncix was clearing out inventory for $150 for 2gb because they couldn't sell it at $400.

Problem was it used D9 chips and they liked to implode and cause it to fail.
Old April 19, 2012, 06:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yeah, I have atleast 6 sticks of dead D9GMH sitting here, wishing I could punish them more....
Old April 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
MVP

Don't think those are D9 chips, the version 2.1 GT are usually Hypers. Considered by almost everyone to be the very best of DDR3 chips ever produced, well known for very tight timings at high speeds. You won't get even close to $400 for them though, for $100 you would sell them (hell I would consider it myself, although I have a set) but if you wait and are patient you may get as high as $150-$175 if you know where to sell them.

The problem with Hypers is that some sets do not play well with Sandy Bridge so they have been losing some of their value. Nice set though.
Old April 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Hypers, coveted by benchers for hi speed and low timings. Back then it was the memory to get, now not so much.