Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Why was this RAM so expensive? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/53463-why-ram-so-expensive.html)

deinosaur April 19, 2012 01:21 AM

Why was this RAM so expensive?

1 Attachment(s)
Corsair Dominator GT 6GB Triple Channel 2000MHZ 7-8-7-20 (CMG6GX3M3A2000C7)Fan included.

This ram cost me 489.99 from NCIX and I have regretted buying it for a long time now. (Yes, it was a mistake I know :sad:) I never looked into why it was so expensive but have recently rejoined this forum and thought I would get some answers out of the experienced/knowledgeable people of why the price tag was so high. I believe I bought it back in summer of 2010. Also, what could it possibly be worth now?

b1lk1 April 19, 2012 05:03 AM

Worth now? You'd be lucky to get someone to pay you $100 for it. That is crazy fast and tight ram and it was very specially binned when you bought it. I don't think anyone saw DDR3 prices coming down to the levels they are at now as well. Either way, unless you are up for a big loss, no sense in selling. I can remember many years ago buying some team Extreme DDR2-6400 2X1GB for nearly $400 new so that is the price you pay when you want the bleeding edge of performance.

Bungwirez April 19, 2012 05:58 AM

ah man. I think we've all been there...
buying up stuff cause it either looked cool at the time,
or promised to do something better than last weeks model.
GL on your sales though, the bundle you've got should catch someones attention.

jurassic1024 April 19, 2012 05:58 AM

You spent more on RAM than your CPU!

Silent_Avenger April 19, 2012 06:03 AM

Yea super speeds and tight timings will ultimately cost you an arm and a leg especially back in the day when DDR3 was fairly pricey. Now it's not worth nearly as much but hey they at least still look cool. :thumb:

Soultribunal April 19, 2012 06:04 AM

Yeah it really was a speciality thing back in the day when you purchased it. At a Point when 4 GB of regular DDR3 was costing 140-160 depending on the type.

As stated above people have all done this, I remember getting Mushkin Redlines when DDR2 was really picking up speed...and that cost a small fortune.

I guess its the same for almost all hardware..

-ST

enaberif April 19, 2012 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b1lk1 (Post 621965)
Worth now? You'd be lucky to get someone to pay you $100 for it. That is crazy fast and tight ram and it was very specially binned when you bought it. I don't think anyone saw DDR3 prices coming down to the levels they are at now as well. Either way, unless you are up for a big loss, no sense in selling. I can remember many years ago buying some team Extreme DDR2-6400 2X1GB for nearly $400 new so that is the price you pay when you want the bleeding edge of performance.

I still have 4x1gb of that in box! I was lucky and got it when Ncix was clearing out inventory for $150 for 2gb because they couldn't sell it at $400.

Problem was it used D9 chips and they liked to implode and cause it to fail.

b1lk1 April 19, 2012 06:23 AM

Yeah, I have atleast 6 sticks of dead D9GMH sitting here, wishing I could punish them more....

Rasparthe April 19, 2012 07:41 AM

Don't think those are D9 chips, the version 2.1 GT are usually Hypers. Considered by almost everyone to be the very best of DDR3 chips ever produced, well known for very tight timings at high speeds. You won't get even close to $400 for them though, for $100 you would sell them (hell I would consider it myself, although I have a set) but if you wait and are patient you may get as high as $150-$175 if you know where to sell them.

The problem with Hypers is that some sets do not play well with Sandy Bridge so they have been losing some of their value. Nice set though.

Eldonko April 19, 2012 08:24 AM

Hypers, coveted by benchers for hi speed and low timings. Back then it was the memory to get, now not so much.