Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   16GB enough? or go for 32GB? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/53141-16gb-enough-go-32gb.html)

Dimitry49 April 7, 2012 11:46 AM

16GB enough? or go for 32GB?

Considering amazing deals going on right on, on RAM, i am contemplating on getting a second row of 16GB corsair vengeance 1600MHz.

I mainly do video editing, so will i see much improvement for rendering with CS5.5 Premiere or AE if i have 32GB? What are the disadvantages for having SOOO much ram? Slow boot times? Poor performance in gaming?

Using: Asus P9X79 PRO + i7 3930K

zsamz_ April 7, 2012 12:43 PM

i would get 32gb

but i wouldn't even consider corsair for ram

gskills give you better value and better ram

corsair makes you pay for the good stuff

boot times might be a few seconds slower with crappy ram

Dimitry49 April 7, 2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 618684)
i would get 32gb

but i wouldn't even consider corsair for ram

gskills give you better value and better ram

corsair makes you pay for the good stuff

boot times might be a few seconds slower with crappy ram

Well thanks for headsup. I am already using Corsair sticks, dont want to sell em for a loss, might as well stick with the vengeance. Thou i hate the stickers on the heatsink..just terrible design! So far pretty stable, not overclocking them much, just 1866 when doing rendering. I guess if i get an extra 16GB for under $100 is a steal really..future proof!

Perineum April 7, 2012 04:12 PM

No disadvantage.

Dragonstongue April 7, 2012 06:07 PM

16gb is far more then just about anyone uses, so unless YOU are using close to the 16gb you have now, why bother?

yamawho April 7, 2012 06:19 PM

Don't know how much hdd space you have but you might want to check the size or even turn off your page file ...

I just did this on a system with 8GB of ram and saved 8GB on the SSD.

Save another 13GB by turning off hibernation as well.

With 32GB of ram, you could run an OS without needing a hdd :haha:

Arinoth April 7, 2012 06:50 PM

Only reason to go with 32GB would be to do RAMDISK for faster read/write speeds while doing video/graphical editing.

Dimitry49 April 7, 2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragonstongue (Post 618764)
16gb is far more then just about anyone uses, so unless YOU are using close to the 16gb you have now, why bother?

Well for my Adobe CS5.5 i have set 13GB out of 16GB (Thats the max i can set) to be used by the software, and in fact when rendering a lossless file in AE, my RAM usage jumps to 15GB, so its not even utilizing the full memory available. But i guess thats some limitation in W7 perhaps, just to leave some headroom for other apps. Would be interesting to find out the speed difference in rendering 16GB vs 32GB. But im guessing not a significant boost for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamawho (Post 618768)
Don't know how much hdd space you have but you might want to check the size or even turn off your page file ...

I just did this on a system with 8GB of ram and saved 8GB on the SSD.

Save another 13GB by turning off hibernation as well.

With 32GB of ram, you could run an OS without needing a hdd :haha:

I have plenty of space, 2TB + 1TB in backup WD Black, Intel 520 - 120GB, Kingston V200 - 128GB, OCZ V2 - 60GB. Haha, thats true, no need for HDD, got enough ram! lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 618777)
Only reason to go with 32GB would be to do RAMDISK for faster read/write speeds while doing video/graphical editing.

I havent heard of RAMDISK, so i guess i should explore. Thanks for responses guys! appreciate it!

lcdguy April 10, 2012 11:34 AM

if you do go with larger amounts of ram 32GB+ then i would strongly recommend getting 8GB modules. That's what we use on our virtual servers at work. But honestly more ram isn't going to speed up rendering (to a certain point) processors and multi threading is. You might get better performance at 16GB with dual processors than a single chip with 32GB or splurge and get a dual quad core with hyper threading (16 threads). but then again not sure what your budget is.

Starage April 10, 2012 03:37 PM

Stay with 16GB, 4x4 kit is good enough, if you need 32GB get 4x8 kit. Having all memory banks full may limit the ram to 1600 and be harder to run anything higher.