Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2008, 03:18 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default best ram configuration - extra2g or dual channel 2x1g

Right now I have 2g of ddr2-pc5300-667 ram, 2x1g sticks, different brands. I have 1g buffalo stick that came with the comp, and a 1g supertalent that I bought.

What do you guys think would be better for short term (until I have more cash); should I buy a 2x1g dual channel pc6400 kit, or should I buy a 2g stick of pc5300 and keep my supertalent 1g (to give a total of 3g). I can get both locally for about the same price. Would 3g with 2 different size ram sticks give good performance; would 2x1g dual channel give same performance (would it be more noticable than what I have now).

My motherboard is this: MSI Computer Corp. - Product

I'm looking at fine tuning my performance with the system I have - I'm going to upgrade the ram, upgrade my vid card (currently 8600gt- probably go to 8800gt), and upgrade my power supply to power the new vid card. I'm hoping to get another 6 months or so out of this motherboard then I'll probably upgrade to an intel quad based board. I only wanted to spend about $300, and thats already used up by the vid card and power supply, which is why I'm only spending about $50 on the memory right now.

P.S. I'm not looking at overclocking the memory.

Last edited by ccm001; March 24, 2008 at 03:41 PM.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:44 PM
F@H

My System Specs

What OS are you running? What programs do you normally run? Do you find your system using 100% of memory often?

If you're running XP, I'd be tempted to just put the 2x1g pc2-6400 in. Max addressable by XP is 2.8Gb, system should be a bit quicker depending on your current cas, good for when you do decide to upgrade your mobo.

If your running Vista 32 bit, IIRC the max addressable is still under 3 GB, but the OS chews up close to 1 GB by itself. Might be worthwhile to stick the extra GB in, less disk access for page file, etc.

Or PM me, I've got a set of 2x2GB OCZ Platinum DDR2-800 I got back from an RMA, only plugged in long enough to make sure they work.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

I'd let them go for $70, canada post shipped. I haven't bothered to put them on the trading block, figured I'd come across someone who needed them sometime. Let me know if you're interested, I'll email you back a picture per For Sale rules.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am running vista 32bit, although I have a dual boot set up to go into xp since some games are faster in xp (but I use Vista 95% of the time, even for most gaming).

Your offer is tempting. But I'm going to think things through first before I buy anything. I'll definetly keep your offer in mind. I also have to decide what type of memory I'm going to need for my future build or purchase.
Old March 24, 2008, 03:59 PM
F@H

My System Specs

No problem, thought they might be useful if you decide to upgrade your system.
Old March 24, 2008, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Actually if I understand dual channel motherboards correctly, I should be able to buy the same type of 1g supertalent ram, and it would run in dual channel.

Now I've just read a couple of articles/forum posts that say that dual channel may only give a 10% increase in performance over single channel. If thats the case then I might as well just get a 2g stick and have 3g (1g + 2g) - I'm sure that would give more than a 10% increase (wouldn't it?).
Old March 24, 2008, 05:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Because your ram sticks would be different sizes, I think your system would drop back to single channel operation, so you wouldn't see an improvement there. I believe DDR2 only works with matched pairs of ram.

But I still think you'd see an improvement under Vista from having the extra memory available before it starts swapping to hard drive.
Old March 25, 2008, 12:37 PM
Top Prospect

About Dual-Channel: You always have the chance of possibly being able to run 2 sticks of the same RAM in dual channel even though they are not matched pairs from the manufacturer. (Eg. 2 sticks of 1G Crucial Rendition bought at different times) There is a chance, so it's not guaranteed to work in dual channel.

If I were you, I'd ditch the dual channel for more RAM, if you need it that is.
Intel C2D E6300 @ 3.5ghz 1.45V
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro

Mushkin (996576) 2X1GB HP2-6400 @ 1000mhz 5-5-5-15 1.9V
eVGA 7600GT KO @ 630/880
Seagate 7200.10 320GB

Samsung SH-162

Samsung 205BW

Logitech Media Keyboard
Logitech MX518

Old March 25, 2008, 12:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I am running 3GB total (1GB/2GB sticks) in my Vista 32 machine. The extra Ram is WAY worth it for vista IMHO. And as far as I know from reading about this myself before I did the 3GB is that the memory will still be working in dual channel for up to the smallest dimm size. So in my case 2x1GB is working in dual channel. The other 1GB is not.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old March 25, 2008, 06:53 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I downloaded cpuz, my two different brands of ram are running in dual channel according to cpuz. I think maybe they both have Micron chips on them, so maybe thats why.

After reading your post Thund3rball I think I will go for a 2 gig stick to give myself 3g total. Thanks for the input!

I'm assuming 3g of 667 ram would give better performance than 2g of 800 ram, yes?

I might just wait and try my vid card upgrade first and see if I'm happy with the gaming results.
Old March 25, 2008, 07:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I believe DDR2 only works with matched pairs of ram.
Sorry, I should have specified matching in size, not matching as in identical.