Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   So many choices, so little bits.. (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/52139-so-many-choices-so-little-bits.html)

LordHood2 March 2, 2012 07:01 PM

So many choices, so little bits..
 
So I'm in the process of finalizing my wish list of hardware for a build I'll be pulling the trigger on in about a month or less. And among other things that i have yet to finalize, the RAM is one of them. Basically I just want some opinions on this:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-990fxz-ud3 AM3+
RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB(2 x 4gb)
CPU: AMD fx4100

More specifically, how does G.Skill compare in terms of performance/reliability to other brands of memory? Are there other memory modules that would better maximize performance given the listed hardware? Or, does brand not matter and are there other things, like timings (which someone should probably explain to me first, so i know what 9-9-9-7 means), type (12000 or something) and what not.

zsamz_ March 2, 2012 07:19 PM

you cant go wrong with gskills:thumb:

i bought a set of those on sale n they good on intel to 2000mhz

Soultribunal March 2, 2012 08:03 PM

Yeah I have to agree G.Skills are pretty bullet proof. Out of 30 kits I've only done 2 RMA's ever with them.

-ST

LordHood2 March 2, 2012 08:20 PM

Does the low voltage make it any better/worse then a non-low voltage version of the same thing?

zsamz_ March 2, 2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordHood2 (Post 607859)
Does the low voltage make it any better/worse then a non-low voltage version of the same thing?


the 1.5v ones you can push 1.6-1.7v

don't touch the 1.35v garbage they don't like voltage
i would shy away from patriot and corsair you be pushing your luck
if i were you i would get me some 2133 cas9 stuff n watch them fly on your amd system:punk:

they can be had for around 70ish+tax if you lucky enough to buy them
i bought this set n they fly and i paid more
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

or take your pick

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)

LordHood2 March 2, 2012 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zsamz_ (Post 607862)
the 1.5v ones you can push 1.6-1.7v

don't touch the 1.35v garbage they don't like voltage
i would shy away from patriot and corsair you be pushing your luck
if i were you i would get me some 2133 cas9 stuff n watch them fly on your amd system:punk:

they can be had for around 70ish+tax if you lucky enough to buy them
i bought this set n they fly and i paid more
Newegg.ca - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-17000CL9D-8GBXM

or take your pick

Newegg.ca - Computer Hardware, Memory, Desktop Memory, 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM, 8GB (2 x 4GB), DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)


Hmm, thanks for the input on that. :thumb:

And what about timings? Is that really something a first time builder will even care about?

LarkStarr March 3, 2012 08:35 AM

Worry about speed first, timing you can toy with later, but obviously, the lower the better.

LordHood2 March 4, 2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 607934)
Worry about speed first, timing you can toy with later, but obviously, the lower the better.


To me those timings aren't obvious, I have no idea what they mean.

LarkStarr March 4, 2012 06:46 PM

google will explain what they mean, but you really don't have to worry about it. the lower the timings the faster the RAM is.

Feanor March 8, 2012 06:08 PM

Newegg.ca - SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3/US

Get as many as you want. Got mine from 1600 11-11-11-30 1,35v to 1850 9-9-9-24 or 2100 10-10-10-27, both at 1,6v. REALLY good overclocking ram for the price. At this moment, nothing beats it. Google them for some impressive results.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 AM.