Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   The Price to Performance ratio... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/5159-price-performance-ratio.html)

chibi_man March 19, 2008 06:38 AM

The Price to Performance ratio...

First off, let us all go mad thinking about all the different DDR2 ram choices.

I've been through a number of "Tom's Hardware" reviews and a few other forums that have talked about the best DDR2 ram. However Getting some go answers for whats available at this time is a tricky thing to do.

The only good thing I know is that theres always a RAM setup that works best for your application and price range.

I'm going to be running an Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe board. If AMD puts out a killer black edition quad core in the next month or two, I'll surely have it. Then when the HD3870 prices official drop in every store I'll go stir crazy on them.

I've set a limited price range for ram because I have found that the price:performance ratio is royally screwy. Like if I was to say performance ram "a" and "b" are priced possibly anywhere from $10 to $50 apart (figurative numbers of course) then theres performance ram "c" which is like $200 maybe $300 different.

With that in mind I don't want to spend much more then $125 on DDR2 ram if at ALL possible. My current favorite pick at the moment is the OCZ PC2-8000 VX2
Considering at one time that ram was in the $400 price range and now $105, I think it's a pretty KILLER buy. Especially if I decide to buy 2 bundles and sit with some quality 4gb of ram in the end.

Theres just to much selection for me to make a good call.

What problems have you had that you can relate to?

:thumb:

Babrbarossa March 19, 2008 07:00 AM

If you want to be able to run at 1000+ speeds guaranteed, just buy an inexpensive set of ddr2 8000 or ddr2 8500 with a lifetime warranty- there are a few of these at NCIX right now for closer to the $50 range.

Otherwise a good set of pc2 6400 will often run a ddr2 1066 with 5-5-5-12 timings and they can very easily be had for 50 bucks

OCZ is very reliable, widely compatable and durable, but is not typically the best overclocker. I'm on a very slow dialup right now so I can't do much surfing around to find the best deal- but you can do alot better than $105 for a set of PC2 8000 right now at DC or NCIX

magictorch March 19, 2008 08:08 AM

they had/have the HP8500 on sale on specials here for $100. They pack a punch despite the conservatively labeled timings. 4-4-4-12, 1066 is easy on 2.1v. Normally about 120 with sales-plus the blue heatspreaders look great!!!
Mushkin HP2-8500 2GB Memory Kit Review

chibi_man March 19, 2008 08:44 AM

Mushkins has been on my list for sometime. I like them.

I guess I should say I'd be in yes 1000+ speeds, PC2-8000 and higher, and OC well.

Hell I could always just make my life easy and get a pair of Ballistix memory. I am just trying to keep all my options open.

And I didn;t find ANY PC2-8000 and higher for the $50 range on NCIX.
You will have to be a little more specific.

Eldonko March 19, 2008 09:06 AM

IMO there is not much point in buying 2GB kits anymore unless they are just for benching. Many 4GB kits are avail for $100-$125 that will do DDR1000 easily.

crazyazn March 19, 2008 10:34 AM

Well...NCIX has the G.Skill F2-8000-CL5D-4GBPQ for $120 with NO MIR. And it'll get cheaper if it's on this week's sale.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=G%2ESKILL

If you want some cheaper RAM, I'd go for the 4G 6400 Ballistix if on sale...i believe they were $99. But with the G.Skill you are guaranteed 1000mhz...although the ballistix shouldn't have a problem hitting that speed. The Patriot 4G LLK set should OC well too, but it has an MIR. The Mushkin HP2-6400 should OC decently, but maybe not as high as the other ones...but the support is superior. I think you should also check out the Corsair 6400C5DHX as they seem to overclock pretty well.

Babrbarossa March 19, 2008 02:02 PM

They had 2X1GB OCZ XTC PC2 8500 on for 45 bucks in lasts week's sale at NCIX- wait until tonight and see if they have something like that- they probably will.

Here's a set of ddr2 800 corsair xms2 for 35 bucks
Corsair Dual Channel TWINX 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz E.P.P. Memory (2 x 1024) TWIN2X2048-6400C4 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

86 bucks for crucial ballistix ddr2 1066
Crucial Ballistix Dual Channel 2048MB PC8500 DDR2 1066MHz Memory (2 x 1024MB) BL2KIT12864AA1065 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

EDIT- found the link for the OCZ 8500 for 45 bucks: http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...3&promoid=1020 might be dead soon though

only problem is that most memory sales involve MIR which are crappy to deal with

vinister March 19, 2008 05:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hold up a second chibi,

I have that motherboard and let me tell you there are lots of goods and bads.

The BAD:

- almost nobody can achieve 1066 ram speeds with or without a phenom. 1066 support on this motherboard is VERY buggy. If you don't believe me, browse the asus forums for the motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum-

- In order to achieve near 1066 speeds, users have been selecting 800 speed and overclocking the FSB to all hell. That is great, unless you have a phenom, and essentially zero headroom. I have a 5000+ BE and I manage DDR-942 on relaxed timings.

- tight timings also seem to be next to impossible on this motherboard. My OCZ sticks are NOT stable at their advertized speed/timing/voltage settings.

- The board is simply immature and unstable. Frequent lockups and crashing is common, tempermental non-booting issues, etc.

- Very bad RAID support, good luck installing vista on RAID drives or anything other than IDE for that matter

- WIFI still does not work after several bios updates, and when it does work, causes mad cpu use, and conflicts with other devices.

- Terrible crossfire performance numbers. Nobody seems to be able to get past the 13K area, whereas a comparable intel system scores 15K+. Also triple crossfire does not work for anyone that I have heard of. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to.

- Terrible BIOS and manuals, support, descriptions of bios settings are non-existant and results are unpredictable.

- SoundMax chip crackles on most games I've tried so far. Many users are experiencing this issue.

THE GOOD:

- You get to be an AMD fanboy still
- Gaming performance seems to be good when it doesnt crash.
- Mine is stable enough while I'm using it, it just crashes when it sits idle.
- Asus should get a hang of this board eventually, future CPU support (45nm) should be good
- Most users can achieve high overclocks on X2 processors on lower voltage than other boards.
- All the copper, man!

That being said, I got the OCZ Platinum 2x2gb kit. They run at 471mhz, ddr-942, 6-5-5-17.

chibi_man March 20, 2008 09:51 AM

I can agree and disagree with everything you said there but I won't go into all out detail.

Until a new phenom comes out I ain't going near it with a 10 foot poll. I'll take a 5000+ Black edition for sure.

I've heard both rumours about that boards Crossfire, and it seems to be more of a problem in how people are setting it up.

And that board is designed to be VERY flexible in OC.... If anything try different RAM to get better results or check your software if it's failing on you.
Oh, OCZ has been on the BALL every time I have used them so I would just say you have had a bad experiences with them to lead you to that conclusion.

Retro March 20, 2008 09:23 PM

I just bought a set of Team 2X1GB TeamXtreem PC2-8000 from TankGuys for $69.99. It is shipped directly from Team in San Jose. Lifetime warranty, Micron D9GMH.
They are the retail-packaged kits with Team heatspreaders. Great ram:thumb: The exact same kit can also be purchased from NCIX. For $436.16:biggrin: