Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   How Much Ram to Buy and Which One? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/50653-how-much-ram-buy-one.html)

snakenobi January 19, 2012 01:28 AM

How Much Ram to Buy and Which One?

Virtual OS
HD
Blu-ray
Games - Crysis2,Battelefield 3,Metro 2033
Web - 20-40tabs
Video Editing

Mutiple Instances and Windows of the above

1)How much?

2)Mhz?

3)Brand?

4)In-brand label - like Dominator,vengeance in corsair

5)Volts?

zsamz_ January 19, 2012 05:58 AM

ddr1 ddr2 ddr3? lol

if its ddr3 just get 2x4gb of gskills ripjaws x 1600mhz+ color of your choice

Perineum January 19, 2012 07:03 AM

With what you are describing and the cheap cost of RAM I would say go with 16GB of RAM.

Go with a speed that will work with whatever overclock you plan on your CPU. After that, get the fastest RAM for the "sweet spot". IE: don't drop double the price on RAM that is 33mhz faster and will give you 0.000133% speed increase.

I don't believe brand matters too much. I have never had compatibility problems with G.Skill so I keep buying them. Definitely make sure you get lifetime warranty.

If you are going Sandybridge then get 1.5 volt or less. In fact, sometimes the 1.25 or 1.35 volt RAM isn't that much more and it's better for overclocking or running low voltage. Probably be best to do 1.5v that way you can have maximum resale or portability between platforms.

My $0.02

zsamz_ January 19, 2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perineum (Post 592269)
With what you are describing and the cheap cost of RAM I would say go with 16GB of RAM.

Go with a speed that will work with whatever overclock you plan on your CPU. After that, get the fastest RAM for the "sweet spot". IE: don't drop double the price on RAM that is 33mhz faster and will give you 0.000133% speed increase.

I don't believe brand matters too much. I have never had compatibility problems with G.Skill so I keep buying them. Definitely make sure you get lifetime warranty.

If you are going Sandybridge then get 1.5 volt or less. In fact, sometimes the 1.25 or 1.35 volt RAM isn't that much more and it's better for overclocking or running low voltage. Probably be best to do 1.5v that way you can have maximum resale or portability between platforms.

My $0.02

actually that 1.35v ram is crap
and brands matter

jibz January 19, 2012 08:16 AM

I'd say get 16g for a good price.

On black friday I "uber price matched" at memory express some $56 2x4gb ripjaw kit with new eggs $30 black friday price and they beat it by 25% of the difference and gave me each 8gb kit for $26ea.

If you can get 8gb of 1600mhz memory in the $25-35 then go for 16.

jumpload January 19, 2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

actually that 1.35v ram is crap
and brands matter
ya iv read the same in a feu places,think ill research the topic at some point cus from a logical point of view im not getting it.