Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 1, 2012, 09:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Unhappy thermal pads sticky for ram?

I have purchased a set of Koolance ram-33 memory waterblocks for my x58 platform viper extreme memory sticks. My problem is I was very displeased to find out that sliding the memory sticks into the heat spreaders did not make good firm contact. Meaning of course, no heat transfer. The heat spreaders came with one thermal pad each which doesn't make any sense to me cause you need heat transfer and a firm 'cushion' on both sides of the sticks. So the solution some geek friends and I came up with was to purchase some thermal pads (much thinner ones than the one included) and place one on either side and squeeze the sticks into the heat spreaders. Only problem is one question? are thermal pads sticky on both sides?If they are, I can't exactly squeeze them in right? what shall I do? I'm about to get some thermal tape and put the original heat spreaders back on the stupid things and forget water cooling them all together. But I was really hoping to overclock them. I heard 2400 mhz was possible with 12-11-12 timing or something like that. Please help!!
ps, sorry for the long message

Tags
ddr3 , koolance , ram-33 , thermal pads , viper