Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 13, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Ram Disk

I wanna play with this anyone know some good uses for a 4 gig ram disk?

Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.

Last edited by clshades; December 13, 2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you pay for a lic you can use more then 4gb and it kinda matters cause there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do with 4gb besides pagefile
Old December 13, 2011, 03:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

seems kinda low for the ram disk

see this is what i get on a gene z with ram at 1600mhz
Attached Images

Last edited by gingerbee; December 13, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old December 13, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I've been running a 10GB (edited, its only 10GB) RAMdisk for a while now. I use it as a scratch disk and have my development server on there (XAMPP stack). It is such an integral part of my photo workflow that I cringe processing on any machine but mine at home.

I've also tested a full virtual OS on a RAMdisk...fast as all heck. I just need some 8GB sticks and an LGA2011 setup to make that my daily driver.

**here is a quick single pass of mine, numbers are the same on 5 passes. Both of your 4K's look low. This is with a 4GHz Clarkdale (QPI at 3840MHz) and 4x4GB at 800MHz 9-9-9.

Last edited by 3oh6; December 14, 2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Gingerbee's results look more like what you should be expecting. However, I think the speeds are fully dependent on the CPU's and RAM's frequencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the read/writes only require an address from the CPU, the frequency of the CPU determines the transfer speed.

I've installed games on my ram drive and it's pretty fast, but that's about all I've done with it.
Old December 14, 2011, 08:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Ramdisk

Old December 14, 2011, 09:53 AM
Rookie

Ive been wanting to do the same thing for a while now but i just dont know how...

anyone know what program to use or if you please send me a link to the product?

please and thanks!!!
Old December 15, 2011, 07:09 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladehawk256 View Post
Ive been wanting to do the same thing for a while now but i just dont know how...

anyone know what program to use or if you please send me a link to the product?

please and thanks!!!
I have been using Dataram RAMDisk, and really like it. Allows up to a 4GB RAMdisk with the free version, and for $15 you can have unlimited size of RAMdisk.

Has automatic image saving of the RAMdisk at shutdown, and load at startup, as well as an incremental backup that you can set the interval of. So if you are actually using the RAMdisk, you won't lose work if you have a power outage, but I would still recommend a UPS if using one for anything important.

Getting it all setup is easy, enough and the interface is dead simple. Gets my

RAMDisk - Software - Server Memory Products & Services - Dataram
Old December 15, 2011, 07:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

oh i second that i love this software ^^^^ i7 2600k @4600 qpi on auto ram @ 800mhz or 1600 effective not sure which matter 3oh6 would know

Last edited by gingerbee; December 15, 2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old December 15, 2011, 09:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkh2 View Post
Gingerbee's results look more like what you should be expecting. However, I think the speeds are fully dependent on the CPU's and RAM's frequencies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but since the read/writes only require an address from the CPU, the frequency of the CPU determines the transfer speed.
Sounds about right, from what I remember in a review I saw a while back, RAM timings have negligible performance impact on the read/write of a RAM disk and its actually beneficial to raise the frequency at the expense of higher latencies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
if you pay for a lic you can use more then 4gb and it kinda matters cause there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do with 4gb besides pagefile
You might as well just disable the page file to utilise as much ram as possible as opposed to dumping on a RAM disk. If windows stores everything in the ram it can read/write direct to the ram as necessary, on a ram disk it will dump to the page file (which is on the ram disk) then read the page file off the ram disk and then transfer that information to the usable ram. Pretty much results in twice the work load, although with the speed of RAM its hardly noticeable.