Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 1, 2011, 02:08 PM
Rookie

Default Kingston DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis Grey vs Blue

Hi guys!
I have one quick questions. I have bought new PC and with my i5 2500k I asked for 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis Grey (link below)
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-kingston-ddr3-hyperx-genesis-grey-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-27-xmp-1
But instead of them - which I didnít notice BTW - this guy sold me similar ones but slightly different and more expensive:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-kingston-hyperx-genesis-ddr3-1600mhz-cl9-165v

Is there any real difference between them? I have heard the ones with "x" at the end are especially designed for sandy bridge and Intel processor so seems like it would be better to have them.
I am going to that shop anyway soon so I will able to exchange them within 7 days from purchase.
The question is there any real difference between them two? Should I bother going back to exchange them??

Thanks for answer and your time
Lee
Old December 1, 2011, 02:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel07 View Post
Hi guys!
I have one quick questions. I have bought new PC and with my i5 2500k I asked for 8GB Kingston DDR3 1600 HyperX Genesis Grey (link below)
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-kingston-ddr3-hyperx-genesis-grey-pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-27-xmp-1
But instead of them - which I didnít notice BTW - this guy sold me similar ones but slightly different and more expensive:
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-(2x4gb)-kingston-hyperx-genesis-ddr3-1600mhz-cl9-165v

Is there any real difference between them? I have heard the ones with "x" at the end are especially designed for sandy bridge and Intel processor so seems like it would be better to have them.
I am going to that shop anyway soon so I will able to exchange them within 7 days from purchase.
The question is there any real difference between them two? Should I bother going back to exchange them??

Thanks for answer and your time
Lee
from what I read of the two links you posted, no there isnt much of a difference perhaps that the grey version is intel XMP certified?? but the reference to the sandy bridge difference, (someone correct me if i am wrong) is that the low voltage 1.5v memory, is prefered to normal memory when running a sandy bridge cpu...
Old December 1, 2011, 02:31 PM

I would go with the lower voltage kit.

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 1, 2011, 02:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I would go with the lower voltage kit.
the links he gave were the same voltage??
same speeds, cl rates, etc...only one version mentioned XMP, I didnt dig into any reviews or specific specs, but looked pretty well the same from the link he gave.
Old December 1, 2011, 02:59 PM

Boo I misunderstood. Didn't look at the links that carefully and read your post and thought one of them was 1.5V.

As for the differences between these two kits... I would just buy whatever's cheaper. XMP doesn't do anything that you cannot do manually...

For faster (and official) NCIX service please contact our customer care team at www.NCIX.com (Canada) or www.NCIXUS.com (USA)

Heatware: http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=25647
Old December 1, 2011, 03:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Boo I misunderstood. Didn't look at the links that carefully and read your post and thought one of them was 1.5V.

As for the differences between these two kits... I would just buy whatever's cheaper. XMP doesn't do anything that you cannot do manually...
this was my thinking too...
Old December 1, 2011, 03:43 PM
Rookie

The voltage is the same on both and both are XMP

The reason I am confused is this official info at Kingston website:
Kingston Technology Company - HyperX DDR3 - Part Number Decoder
Old December 2, 2011, 02:31 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel07 View Post
The voltage is the same on both and both are XMP

The reason I am confused is this official info at Kingston website:
Kingston Technology Company - HyperX DDR3 - Part Number Decoder
well from what i can tell using that decoder, the grey set is merely a special edition.