Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Difference between 4 gig and 8gig (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/48761-difference-between-4-gig-8gig.html)

Your_friendly_gamer November 26, 2011 02:30 PM

Difference between 4 gig and 8gig

Is there a big difference between a 4 gig kit and 8 gig kit for gaming and part time folding?

enaberif November 26, 2011 02:55 PM

Nope.

but2002 November 26, 2011 02:57 PM

More RAM over 4 gigs will pretty much just allow you to have more open at once, and to multitask more. In the future though that will change, almost assuredly.

sswilson November 26, 2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by but2002 (Post 572873)
More RAM over 4 gigs will pretty much just allow you to have more open at once, and to multitask more. In the future though that will change, almost assuredly.

At one point I would have agreed with you about future requirements. For the longest time, programers quit trying to write optimised code, instead they counted on the seemingly never-ending march of hardware performance improvements to bull it's way through poor code.

That said... I'm thinking that the current push towards low power portable computing will finally start us back down the path of tightly written code from true programming artists, and that hardware requirements will either stay fairly stable, or (horrors of horrors........) quite possibly might drop from current levels.

Your_friendly_gamer November 26, 2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 572879)
At one point I would have agreed with you about future requirements. For the longest time, programers quit trying to write optimised code, instead they counted on the seemingly never-ending march of hardware performance improvements to bull it's way through poor code.

That said... I'm thinking that the current push towards low power portable computing will finally start us back down the path of tightly written code from true programming artists, and that hardware requirements will either stay fairly stable, or (horrors of horrors........) quite possibly might drop from current levels.

That is too technical for me. For gaming 4 gig is plenty? That is my concerns, as I do have a nice dominator 4 gig kit, but thinking of upgrading to 8 gig kit, but not if it's not necessary.

Sorry about that:(

Perineum November 26, 2011 04:10 PM

More RAM is always better, but it's always diminishing returns.

However, all of my clients stated separately that the addition of 4 gigs of RAM going to 8 increased performance. I built my machine with 8 and wouldn't think of doing less. If I was doing a build for myself right now minimum would be 16

bkh2 November 26, 2011 08:35 PM

I will agree that you will see improvements (albeit little, depending on your expectations) going from 4 gigs to 8 gigs. I went from 6 to 18, but I would assume the concept is the same. But from 18 to 24, I definitely did not see any improvements.

Arinoth November 26, 2011 09:03 PM

Some games are starting to become memory hogs, take BF3 for instance. You need to have literally nothing else running while playing it otherwise you quickly can run out of 4GB.

JD November 26, 2011 09:53 PM

Yup 8GB definitely yields noticeable improvement these days (assuming of course you have a 64bit OS).

If you don't have 8GB, I suggest upgrading. Especially with the relatively low prices of DDR3 right now.

I have a friend that went from laggy BF3 to smooth BF3 just by upgrading from 4GB to 8GB. That's with a HD5870 and Q6600.

I would have to say 8GB is the new "standard" since 4GB simply no longer is sufficient IMO. Even right now, with just Firefox (~415MB), Steam (~100MB), Origin (~70MB) and Pidgin (~25MB) running, I'm at 2.6GB total usage.

zsamz_ November 26, 2011 09:58 PM

most games 4 gigs is good enough

some games the more the better

me i like fast ram i dont care how much i got lol