Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2008, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Default Bad Ram??

Recently I ive been doing some tweaking for air flow, wire management, just small small stuff.

Each time I even touch my computer I get a beep code.
I narrowed it down to this stick of ram. I have Ocz PC2 6400 ddr2 ram
2 gigs.
I now am running 1 gig, and everytime i put my other stick in, i get a beep code.
this beep code has been the same everytime it happens, and it never ever ever happens with this stick of ram out.

My question is, obviously it is the ram? and is OCZ usually a bad name or unreliable? I thought ocz was decent, but ive had this ram for under half a year, what ram can anyone recommend because I need new ram. Im thinking corsair

Hopefully someone will take on those questions haha
Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Gigabyte Motherboard
2gb PC6400 1.8v from OCZ
BFG 8800 GT Overclocked
250gig Western Digital S-ATA HD

Accessories:
Razer Lachesis
Logitech G15 2nd Edition
Plantronics Gaming Headset.
Old February 25, 2008, 08:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

BIOS Beep Codes

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 25, 2008, 09:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod_g29 View Post
Recently I ive been doing some tweaking for air flow, wire management, just small small stuff.

Each time I even touch my computer I get a beep code.
I narrowed it down to this stick of ram. I have Ocz PC2 6400 ddr2 ram
2 gigs.
I now am running 1 gig, and everytime i put my other stick in, i get a beep code.
this beep code has been the same everytime it happens, and it never ever ever happens with this stick of ram out.

My question is, obviously it is the ram? and is OCZ usually a bad name or unreliable? I thought ocz was decent, but ive had this ram for under half a year, what ram can anyone recommend because I need new ram. Im thinking corsair

Hopefully someone will take on those questions haha
Do you mean literally "every time you touch your case" with this mem stick installed you get a beep code?

If that's the case, you've got a short somewhere.... :)

Otherwise... Do your secondary timings match the ones suggested by OCZ? Could be one of them is too tight, and only one of the sticks doesn't play nice with that setting.........

Is this at stock? What is the memory and what are you running it at?

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old February 26, 2008, 05:39 AM
Rookie

I shouldn't say everytime I go in my case. I did some major wire management a few days back, and no beep codes occured.

As of now, I get the beep codes whenever I put this stick of ram it.
It worked fine yesturday, and all I did was open my case and install a new cd-drive, and wham i got some beep codes, I did some minor things like remove ram, and put it back in, make sure everything was seated properly, all the little things, and it came down to me removed this stick of ram, and the beep codes stopped, and my computer booted up fine.
Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Gigabyte Motherboard
2gb PC6400 1.8v from OCZ
BFG 8800 GT Overclocked

Accessories:
Razer Lachesis
Logitech G15 2nd Edition
Old February 26, 2008, 07:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarod_g29 View Post
I shouldn't say everytime I go in my case. I did some major wire management a few days back, and no beep codes occured.

As of now, I get the beep codes whenever I put this stick of ram it.
It worked fine yesturday, and all I did was open my case and install a new cd-drive, and wham i got some beep codes, I did some minor things like remove ram, and put it back in, make sure everything was seated properly, all the little things, and it came down to me removed this stick of ram, and the beep codes stopped, and my computer booted up fine.
Sounds like a PSU problem to me. When you installed the optical drive... it loaded the PSU more. When you take out 1 stick of RAM... less load, and vice-versa. I don't think i've even heard of your make of PSU..so i'd be leery of it's quality. Do you have a spare PSU to try, or a friend who could spot you one for a few hours?
Old February 26, 2008, 08:14 AM
Rookie

It might not be the psu mainly because my neighbour owns the identical 700w and he is using sli with his setup. It isnt a well known brand.
And the dvd drive I put in. Was a swap for one i already had in it. The one that was in it was old so i got a new one.

I completely disassembled my rig and reassembled. Everything boots up fine with out that stick of ram. Im beginning to make my final decision to return to my local store and pick up a new kit.
Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Gigabyte Motherboard
2gb PC6400 1.8v from OCZ
BFG 8800 GT Overclocked

Accessories:
Razer Lachesis
Logitech G15 2nd Edition
Old February 26, 2008, 08:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

GL either way.
Old February 26, 2008, 08:31 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Another possibility is this:

You said the problem only started occuring after you did some major rewiring. Did you move ANY wires behind the motherboard? Some motherboards have sharp(ish) pins on the flip side of the ram slots, meaning that a wire pushed up against it could (or could've) been pierced by the sharp edge and caused a short. This also could've been a one-time occurance which could've damaged the motherboard/ram stick. So try moving the ram around or try both sticks together in a different motherboard with memtest86 to make sure you didnt fry a stick by accident. I know it sounds unlikely but I've seen it happen before. This could explain why its still causing problems after you disassembled and reassembled, the short/damage is already there.

Hope it helps, let me know.
Old February 26, 2008, 08:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

ok this is kinda obvious, but you didnt specify so i have to ask...have you tried the bad stick in every slot? have you tried the good stick in every slot? i have seen bad slots, doing this would help eliminate that possibility. have you tried the memory in another system?

also, ocz has great customer support, before you buy more ram, you should look into their webpage/forums. you can likely get a replacement set from them pretty easily if it is indeed busted memory.

good luck i feel your pain, i just rma'ed my motherboard due to a similar problem...(my blue slots became unable to post with memory in them, and in the black slots my ram was totally unstable until i underclocked it to 740 from 1066. i thought the ram was bad, but its fine in other systems)
Old February 26, 2008, 11:33 AM
Rookie

Well when I did the rewiring for neatness, it went behind the motherboard tray, not the motherboard itself. my cousin is coming in for a small lan this weekend I will try my ram in his computer, sense my older computers aren't compatiable. I did try the "bad" ram in both slots, alone. Didn't work in either. The one that im using right now works in both. As far as contacting Ocz, i bought the ram from a local computer store that this cousin of mine works at, they gave me a one year warrenty on the products I buy so I can take it there if it turns out its this ram.

Thanks for all the help everyone, im a noobie so I wasn't expecting people to give a shit lol. Thanks a bunch
Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Gigabyte Motherboard
2gb PC6400 1.8v from OCZ
BFG 8800 GT Overclocked

Accessories:
Razer Lachesis
Logitech G15 2nd Edition