Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 24, 2011, 12:26 PM
Banned

What RAM do you guys recommend? Cheapest?

I would like to have an idea of what to get if/when I ever upgrade and move to, probably, a SNB system.

I will choose 1333mhz RAM I think since it's the default speed and I think this will help keep the price down. I'll probably get 16b since I aim to run some virtual machines.

I am not particular for brands but I'm curious whether voltage should matter. Is it accurate that DDR3 1333 Mhz (PC2-10600) RAM is typically 1.5v? But, a lot of RAM is 1.6 to 1.65v but usually for higher speeds?

Should I just look for 1333mhz RAM @ 1.5v regardless of brand and go with that config. w/ lowest price @ 16gb?

I also will insist on lower profile RAM so low heatsinks. I know the other type is good but I intend to use an old case, an Antec 300 so I want to keep stuff lower and I'm not sure what cpu heat sink I'll use. Maybe I'll use the Intel one but most likely I'll want to move to the CM 212 plus or whatever is cheapest.

Last question: I might go with 8gb at first with the plan to get another identical 8gb later so that might factor into which brand, right? Corsair and Kingston are typically available for a longer period of time? 8gb stick packs are probably common? Will two 8gb combinations work the same as buying a 16gb pack?

'Appreciate any ideas...
Old September 24, 2011, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For Sandy you want 1.5v or risk burning out the memory controller IIRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old September 24, 2011, 01:50 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

You are correct supergrover. Sandy reqs 1.5v

I cant link atm (phone) but I would suggest some vengeance lp ram. Ruans @ 1600 but from what I hear it is good. I will let ya know my thoughts on it once my parts arrove
Old September 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
For Sandy you want 1.5v or risk burning out the memory controller IIRC
Ok. What would you choose?

Corsair 8gb vs Mushkin 8gb - both around $40

Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto 8GB 2X4GB PC3-10666 DDR3-1333 9-9-9-24 - part #996770

or

Corsair XMS CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24 - part #CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

I'd add another 8gb later.

Comments on that RAM? Seems like the cheapest 8gb sticks keeping at 1.5v but I guess the others you can undervolt or adjust the speed but I think it's preferable to get RAM and run at default if possible.
Old September 24, 2011, 03:25 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

While its ONLY a sample size of ONE. I ran into issues with the mushy silver stiletto's in a build a while back. So much so that I even yanked it from my testbed.

Corsair Vengeance Blue LP's on the other hand....no probs at all.

YMMV :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 24, 2011, 04:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
While its ONLY a sample size of ONE. I ran into issues with the mushy silver stiletto's in a build a while back. So much so that I even yanked it from my testbed.

Corsair Vengeance Blue LP's on the other hand....no probs at all.

YMMV :)
I'm sure it's good RAM and I like the heat sinks but I don't see it any cheaper than $60. Also, at the NCIX chain of stores, it's unavailable but it's not like I'm buying today or tomorrow (although, I am tempted at $40).

That's $20 extra. I kinda prefer Corsair anyway, though.... Mushkins seem hard to find after a while and the Corsairs and Kingstons (probably G.Skill, too) seem to have the same model available after a longer period of time so it may be easier to find another pair of 8gb down the road?
Old September 25, 2011, 06:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I'm sure it's good RAM and I like the heat sinks but I don't see it any cheaper than $60. Also, at the NCIX chain of stores, it's unavailable but it's not like I'm buying today or tomorrow (although, I am tempted at $40).

That's $20 extra. I kinda prefer Corsair anyway, though.... Mushkins seem hard to find after a while and the Corsairs and Kingstons (probably G.Skill, too) seem to have the same model available after a longer period of time so it may be easier to find another pair of 8gb down the road?
Thats why I just went over my budget by $50 and picked up my other 8 gb.