Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 11:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
People said you wouldn't need 4GB to play games back in 2006-7, but those that thought ahead and bought 4GB when it was cheap in 2007 didn't need to buy more ram for 4 years. The people who said not to buy 4GB, because it is a waste, later had to pay more per GB than those that bought in 2007.

Long story short:
Buy 16GB, won't need to upgrade for 4 years, DDR4 will be the norm.
Buy 8GB, need to upgrade in 2 years, pay $20 more. (actually probably more than that)
Right!

Would it be feasible to assume that DDR3 RAM might go through the same price escalation when DDR4 comes out? :)

I am not even thinking about upgrading 4 yrs down the road, to be honest. I think I am probably the most paranoid person on here. I am afraid that it might be my last upgrade in a while so that's why I'm taking so long to decide which platform to upgrade to and which components (exactly).

I'd love to buy 2 systems so I can have some versatility but with other things I want or need, I am probably restricted to just one build for now.

As you guys are saying, you can never have too much RAM and it's much easier to have a bit extra or to spend on it now when prices may go up. If it goes down, then great but the cost of additional RAM isn't too bad and the majority are now using 64-bit operating systems so Virtual Machines benefit. If gaming, it can't hurt and if you didn't need that much, it's always there if you need it for something else.

Just my perspective. :) My problem would then be deciding whether to just go with 1333mhz speed or 1600 and which brand/set etc. Not to mention, can I even get it... lol
Old September 21, 2011, 01:33 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

With Ram I like to buy one speed step up from what I plan on using it at. Right now that means 1600 as I usually set the rigs up to the std 1333. This way it further reduces issues as if a stick is rated for say 9-9-9 @1600 it will have zero probs running 9-9-9 at 1333. PLUS if I decide to bump up the speed at a later date...I can. Its very conservative I know....but it works for me. ;)

YMMV

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 22, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
People said you wouldn't need 4GB to play games back in 2006-7, but those that thought ahead and bought 4GB when it was cheap in 2007 didn't need to buy more ram for 4 years. The people who said not to buy 4GB, because it is a waste, later had to pay more per GB than those that bought in 2007.

Long story short:
Buy 16GB, won't need to upgrade for 4 years, DDR4 will be the norm.
Buy 8GB, need to upgrade in 2 years, pay $20 more. (actually probably more than that)
Unless said game is coded in 64bit and you are using a 64bit OS games won't use 4gb of ram.

That being said more games are being coded to take advantage of more memory but we still aren't where we should.

And the whole future proofing thing.. Until the 64bit OS is completely mainstream and no more 32bit OS I can't see a need for most people using more than 4gb of ram.
Old September 22, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

We all know you love your 32bit OS (especially XP) firebane.....
BUT a couple things to note are: a) 64bit OS IS mainstream in the enthusiast community and B) since the OP is talking about VMs and OC'ing (hell building his own rig is enough to count) he IS an enthusiast. NOT "most people". Thus your points are null and void WRT this thread....that is unless you are recommending to the OP that he run VMs via a 32bit OS and only use 4gb of ram in total?

Yeah, I didnt think so.

Why not start a thread about 32 bit OS love, instead of thread jacking? Until then....I hope the OP enjoys his 16GB of RAM. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; September 22, 2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old September 22, 2011, 12:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
We all know you love your 32bit OS (especially XP) firebane.....
BUT a couple things to note are: a) 64bit OS IS mainstream in the enthusiast community and B) since the OP is talking about VMs and OC'ing (hell building his own rig is enough to count) he IS an enthusiast. NOT "most people". Thus your points are null and void WRT this thread....that is unless you are recommending to the OP that he run VMs via a 32bit OS and only use 4gb of ram in total?

Yeah, I didnt think so.

Why not start a thread about 32 bit OS love, instead of thread jacking? Until then....I hope the OP enjoys his 16GB of RAM. :)
Most games haven't switched over to 32-bit yet?

Also, if you install 32-bit in the VM, so you only have to dedicate under 4gb. Therefore, you can install 64-bit as main (host) machine and have a/the guest 32-bit OS and dedicate under the 4GB if you have 16gb, say.

Either way, I think being restricted to 4gb only makes sense if you're not doing much and upgrade a lot. Imho.

Another thing to think about is how bloated some applications are getting, look at web browsers. I believe that having a zillion tabs open takes up memory. Right? Doesn't extra RAM help with that so ppl who do that will benefit and can have all their tabs? :)
Old September 23, 2011, 09:58 AM
Banned

Just upgraded to 16 gigs as seen in my sig. And YES it helps & YES it also allows for longer reboot times times of your system. with 8 gigs & all my megatasking with games & such all the time i'd have to reboot after 4-5 days vs so far i was forced to reboot cause of needing to @ 11 days.

As for in games i've gained a minimum 20-25 fps more average/mininal fps in games i was previously playing with 8 gigs.
Old September 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sure but you don't NEED more uptime or NEED more FPS....
Old September 23, 2011, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Sure but you don't NEED more uptime or NEED more FPS....
Not per say, BUT the point is, futureproofing & ram of this highest level being at such a cheap price point right now its insaine not to take the $120 & drop it into 16 gigs of ram. Ram does speed up a pc period no matter what you use it for, it would be like having a head & no body to use let around move it around with.

And even more so when we talk about systems with intergrated video, 8+ gigs or ram is a BIG diffrence in those systems vs non intergrated video ones.
Old September 23, 2011, 11:58 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The age old saying here is really what has got me with the 16gb choice.

Better to have and not need, then need and not have.

Either way though, I am ordering my system tonight and it will have 16gb. Thanks to all the help guys. Also, to the comment about running 32bit OS in my VM's, Server 2008-R2 is 64bit only. Server 2008 is 32 / 64, and I am running R2 as that is what is pertinent to my course, and is what I am running labs / practicals on @ the college.
Old September 23, 2011, 12:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Not per say, BUT the point is, futureproofing & ram of this highest level being at such a cheap price point .....
It was sarcasm, my friend....