Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 27, 2011, 05:18 PM
Top Prospect

Default Had to OC my ram to get what its default timings were supposed to be...

One oddity I ran into and wanted some input on. Its no biggie as everything works, but I brought this RAM to go with my new machine:

G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 CL9-9-9-24 Memory

For this board: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 ATX LGA1155 Z68 DDR3 1PCI-E16 3PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard

Thing is, my RAM didnt run at 9-9-9-24 at all. I put it in the right slots, as recommanded by the board's manual, but it ran at 11-11-11-30 :(

So I proceeded to OC it to 9-9-9-24, even checked the supposed timings of the other less known timings and set them all to how they were -supposed- to run, without increasing voltage. I proceeded to run heavy stability tests on the RAM at the OC'd values and everything was fine. I didn't dare to push it beyond that, so far though.

I just wanted to know what could be the cause for the default timings being much less interesting than whats on the box. I assume its not a matter of the sticks being bad, otherwise they wouldn't perform well at the OC'd values, and I hadn't seen this happen before. I'm not concerned as everything works, but a little puzzled I guess!

Thanks for your comments :)
Old August 28, 2011, 08:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's completely normal depending on the RAM. If you want to be sure, grab CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the "SPD" tab for one of your memory sticks:
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Each stick of RAM has a set of preset profiles - all of them have "JDEC" profiles which are normally very conservative so people with cheap (e.g. low-end Dell / Hp / Acer prebuilt) motherboards can boot from the RAM stick without a problem. Then there's the "EPP" profile which is the set of higher speeds or tighter timings. It's possible that your motherboard selected the "JDEC" profile instead of the "EPP" one, like what all my DDR2 motherboards do with my OCZ Platinum sticks. Again to confirm this, see if the "SPD" tab of CPU-Z shows a set of timings that are 11-11-11.
Old August 29, 2011, 11:17 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontier204 View Post
That's completely normal depending on the RAM. If you want to be sure, grab CPU-Z and post a screenshot of the "SPD" tab for one of your memory sticks:
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Each stick of RAM has a set of preset profiles - all of them have "JDEC" profiles which are normally very conservative so people with cheap (e.g. low-end Dell / Hp / Acer prebuilt) motherboards can boot from the RAM stick without a problem. Then there's the "EPP" profile which is the set of higher speeds or tighter timings. It's possible that your motherboard selected the "JDEC" profile instead of the "EPP" one, like what all my DDR2 motherboards do with my OCZ Platinum sticks. Again to confirm this, see if the "SPD" tab of CPU-Z shows a set of timings that are 11-11-11.
Yes, CPU-Z showed a set at 11-11-11, until I manually changed the timings in the BIOS.

Now it shows this, which I assume is more or less normal..?

Old August 29, 2011, 11:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Your board defaulted to the SPD/JEDEC settings, and not the XMP settings. Depending on your mobo, there may be an option to use the XMP settings instead.
Old August 29, 2011, 04:08 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks Ill try looking for that :)