Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 24, 2011, 06:43 PM
Top Prospect

Default Corsair Dominator (1.65V) or Vengeance LP (1.5V) 1600MHz 9-9-9-24

Any thoughts if you had to choose between the two:
* Presume price and looks not a factor (no window)

1. Corsair Dominator (non GT) - 1.65V
2. Corsair Vengeance (Original or LP) - 1.5V

Both the same class - 1600MHz 9-9-9-24.

I have been presuming where everything else is equal the ram certified at lower volts would be better? Thus the Vengeance?

TIA..
Old August 24, 2011, 06:47 PM

My System Specs

That Dominator stuff is closing on three years old. Would definitely go w/ the Vengeance.
Old August 24, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Another nod for the Vengeance LP. Got the 16GB "blue" kit and love it. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 24, 2011, 08:20 PM
Top Prospect

Looks like the Dominators @ 1.65v will be the odd ones out. Too bad, much prefer the build quality of the Dominators. Guess ram with heavy duty heat sinks aren't as necessary for modern ram chips - at the same rates.

Thanks!
Old August 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

A case with good airflow with keep ram nice and happy, large heatsink or std height heatsink...or hell no heatsink. It doesnt really matter. Heatsinks on ram chips are basically there for looks only. Its only when you really start to OC them that they MAY need heatsinks...otherwise its purdy...but purdy useless.

That being said if you like the "Heavy Duty" look the Vengeance non-LP are pretty cool looking. And same goes for the GSkill Ripjaws, Mushkin Ridgebacks and some others :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 25, 2011, 10:26 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
A case with good airflow with keep ram nice and happy, large heatsink or std height heatsink...or hell no heatsink. It doesnt really matter. Heatsinks on ram chips are basically there for looks only. Its only when you really start to OC them that they MAY need heatsinks...otherwise its purdy...but purdy useless.

That being said if you like the "Heavy Duty" look the Vengeance non-LP are pretty cool looking. And same goes for the GSkill Ripjaws, Mushkin Ridgebacks and some others :)

Sure nice to have ram and other components that look like they can survive an apocalyptic event.

Not wanting to sound like a fan boy but I've tried a couple other bad ass looking DDR3 ram but had difficulties reaching and maintaining advertised speeds stable nevermind overclocking. So started using Corsair ram and I highly suspect they under advertise on purpose. Their PSUs and RAM seem to have a lot of head room.
Old August 25, 2011, 10:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Another nod for the Vengeance LP. Got the 16GB "blue" kit and love it. :)
Yupum, got the 4x4gb black LP's, seam like good sticks have not pushed them though really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 27, 2011, 12:01 PM
Top Prospect

I also have the Vengeance LP in blue. Surprisingly they look better in real life than in product pictures.
Old September 7, 2011, 09:35 PM
Banned

I'm curious about the height of some of these heatsinks.... is there any potential issue with that on some motherboards or with some cases? Maybe even with aftermarket heatsinks?
Old September 7, 2011, 09:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg View Post
I'm curious about the height of some of these heatsinks.... is there any potential issue with that on some motherboards or with some cases? Maybe even with aftermarket heatsinks?
Well that is the point of going with LP sticks they fit, some heatsinks will be to low for high sticks. My 212+ hits the first 2 banks on my htpc board with Mushkin assents and if i did not go LP sticks none would fit on my cm v-10/ p67 Sabertooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton