Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2008, 10:13 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Cheap Ram at NCIX

Maybe this should go under hot deals, but I want a technical answer as well. NCIX has OCZ Platinum PC2 6400 on for $30. My question is, how good is OCZ? I've heard a lot about them, but never used them and want to hear from some people with experience.

As well, how much slower would it be, at 4-4-4-15 than, say, Crucial BallistX at 4-4-4-12? I would guess not much, since they are in decreasing order of importance, no?

Finally, I have heard problems people have had with using all 4 slots, vs. 2. If I will be on Vista HP x64, what should happen?

Thanks guys.
Old February 9, 2008, 10:38 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom.mullie View Post
Maybe this should go under hot deals, but I want a technical answer as well. NCIX has OCZ Platinum PC2 6400 on for $30. My question is, how good is OCZ? I've heard a lot about them, but never used them and want to hear from some people with experience.

As well, how much slower would it be, at 4-4-4-15 than, say, Crucial BallistX at 4-4-4-12? I would guess not much, since they are in decreasing order of importance, no?

Finally, I have heard problems people have had with using all 4 slots, vs. 2. If I will be on Vista HP x64, what should happen?

Thanks guys.
Never been a fan of OCZ as most of their prices are reflected around MIRs and Crucial and G.Skill can be bought for a good price without a MIR.

Second 4-4-4-12 or 4-4-4-15 will make no difference as I've found 5-5-5-15 works better than 4-4-4-12 :P

I run (not at the moment) 4 banks of memory perfectly fine but it will all depend on your motherboard and how well it handles it.
Old February 9, 2008, 11:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Good things about OCZ is that they're widely compatable, and pretty reliable, and CHEAP- problem is as ebanerif mentioned that there's always a MIR, and I for one, always forget to send them in, and when I do, I only seem to get it back about a third of the time. Either way- can't go wrong with ocz
Old February 9, 2008, 11:26 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

OCZ is a great manufacturer of RAM. I own that kit myself and I NEVER had complaints. My Platinum Rev. 2 is capable of running 900MHz at 4-4-4-12-1t...on a 680i that is! No way you could go wrong with that...what I do advice however, is to go with 1066MHz in order to achieve better a OC!
Old February 9, 2008, 04:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

OCZ support is second to none. and that RAM is decent stuff.... but the corsairs on sale are D9's and frankly better RAM to my knowledge. As to 5-5-5 vs 4-4-4- I ask you "5-5-5- is Better for what?" My answer "nothing". Tighter timings always pay off for me on any bench or real world app like folding. Later production Plats use better IC's than earlier production plats as well and I think NCIX tends to turn a lot of OCZ stock (biggest OCZ retailer in Canada) so they shoudl be fresh. OCZ has some super kick butt products for benching, these aren't among those. I own four sets of these BTW. If youre looking for a mild OC with decent timings these are good DIMMS. If you're looking for a little more reach from a budget set I think the Corsair are more likely to take you there.

Cheers
UnG
Old February 9, 2008, 06:56 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

It's a good set - you'll be able to push it, and worst case loosen the timings to do so. BTW, the MIR address is now in Montreal. It should make the process a little easier.