Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   RAM (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/)
-   -   Do 1155 board need special DDR3 (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/ram/43937-do-1155-board-need-special-ddr3.html)

Lanboy June 5, 2011 07:39 AM

Do 1155 board need special DDR3

I don't thing so but here the problems :

if I install 2 stick of memory in the blue slot, it work fine
if I remove them and place them in the black slot, it work fine
if I place 4 sticks at the same time, the system crash and reboot and make a loop

I try 2 set of 4 sticks, all the same results

here the stick I try : Patriot PVV34G1600LLR 4 of them
G Skill F3-12800cl9q-16GBRL 4 of them

those memory was pull ot from system working fine with 4 of then ( 1 1366 and 1 AMD board )

no I will probably RMA the board the fist in 20 years because I also have this as problem ; Hi, I'm experiencing 2 problem with this board and I have not yet install an OS in it

in the bios if I go in the section Green Power, the system froze, I have to press reset to reboot

the board is a MSI P67A-GD80‏

SnoSalmon June 5, 2011 08:39 PM

Is this RAM on the compatibility list of the motherboard?
Also, please post full system specs including the PSU.

4 sticks of RAM are more demanding on a system. If you are running an overclock reset the BIOS to defaults first.

_dangtx_ June 5, 2011 09:02 PM

as long as they are 1.5v or below? usually no problemo.

what bios are you running btw? do the sticks pass memtest in separate pairs?

zsamz_ June 5, 2011 11:20 PM

update bios with 2 stix

set all memory timings manually no auto bs or xmp
set memory voltage to 1.55 instead of 1.5v
or even 1.6v

save

shut power put in 2 other stix

you should be able to run 1866mhz with 16gb with the gskills
and if you try hard enought it can run 1866mhz 8-9-8-28-5-140

Lanboy June 9, 2011 05:09 AM

Thanks Sam and Dan, was not able to edit my confusing post, but here the situation , I made all the test you suggest to me even before post here, I even flash the BIOS with 3 different version

It’s the MSI tech who told me that I need to purchase Qualify memory for their board, it’s why I ask “do we need special memory for P67” ….. after recheck that board for 2 days, it happen that not only my BIOS have a problem with accessing a part of it , the “ green power” section , but I have no temp or voltage reading in the bios too, but I have in Windows, and that will explain the problem in the green section of the bios, it hang because it can read the thing.

So I contact New Egg, they was kind enough to send me a prepaid UPS label by email, so for now the board is in direction of their Canadian Warehouse.
Finally I was able to fix the RAM problem , first RMA of a board in 25 years.

_dangtx_ June 9, 2011 09:30 AM

no worries maite

one more thing i forgot,well,failed to mention,is mushkin value ram

works better in buggy situations than anything else ive tried. always boot up when others wouldnt. save bios(defaults,or set some settings)
,shut down,insert other ram,all good :)

Lanboy June 9, 2011 09:47 AM

I may be wrong but those Sandy memory controllers don’t accept very easy some memories out of the Intel spec. The choice of memory don’t help also, for 1333 mhz, Intel timing spec are 9,9,9,24, if you want a good looking ram with nice heat sink, manufacturer usually go with timing let say more aggressive than Intel spec. Some motherboard manufacturers are better to deal with “of the spec” memory. With the new Sandy especially on MSI board, I have to adjust the ram speed and timing manually, as they don’t both by themselves with some memory

_dangtx_ June 9, 2011 09:49 AM

weird. ive built with msi as many as asus and giga,besides some more expensive mofos
i find the cheaper ones to be pretty good,especially if you dont tinker with them.

Lanboy June 9, 2011 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dangtx_ (Post 523046)
weird. ive built with msi as many as asus and giga,besides some more expensive mofos
i find the cheaper ones to be pretty good,especially if you dont tinker with them.

you may have a point here, on the MSI forum all the peoples who have problem with RAM, are with high end board. in few hour I will receive a cheap P67 MSI, I will experiment with the RAM that give me problem on my GD80, I will give you news on it.

But you may have another explanation n your findings, usually on cheap board we use cheap memory, those have slower timing ..

_dangtx_ June 9, 2011 09:59 AM

that and they got so many parameters,than even on auto they can be wrong or close lol..

cheaper boards dont have many adjustements.

and yeah on the ram...except i used not so cheap mushkin too to troubleshoot lol.

imagine booting up with a 1800mhz stick then drop in 1333 or so hehe