Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > RAM

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 31, 2011, 08:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default How would single channel memory affect a mobile Core i5?

Hi all,

Has anyone benchmarked single vs dual channel on a DUAL-CORE mobile Core i5 or something similarly low-end like a desktop Core i3 processor? I'd like to know if a Core i5-2410M (2.3-2.9GHz, with 2x2 threads due to HT) would take a significant performance hit on SMP FOLDING due to only having one 4 GB SODIMM equipped. There's no doubt that a quad gets hit, even RAM speed makes a difference, but what about a duo?

I bought a laptop with a newer mobile Core i5 (2410M dual 2.3-2.9 GHz), but I know by the specs that it starts with only 1 out of 2 DIMMs populated. I know I don't need more than 4 GB for what I do, but I may get another DIMM for the speed.

Thanks!

Note I'll ignore anyone who says folding on laptops sucks because I had my laptop folding on the table beside my in a hotel room during the CC. This new laptop also has a GeForce GT525M and I plan to get that folding too, even if it means a pile of headaches due to Optimus

The laptop is a Samsung QX411: Samsung 14.1" Intel Core i5-2410M Laptop (QX411) - Metalic Silver : 14" Laptops - Future Shop
Old May 31, 2011, 11:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Id imagine ram speed making a difference, yes, but adding more channels, not so much. the adding of more channels just gives the ability to access more sticks at one time (i.e 1 stick per clock cycle, 2 sticks per clock cycle), increasing bandwidth (amount of data transferred) but the speed at which those sticks are accessed and said data is transferred is still the same.
Old May 31, 2011, 11:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

my previous build ran 3 or 6 GB in duel all its life. X58 i7.
Old June 2, 2011, 02:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's not that it sucks it's just that laptops can get really dusty inside especially if they are running hard 24/7. Not to mention they produce tons of heat and can overheat quite easily especially if not on a cooling rack.

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to your question though :(
Old June 2, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all the replies.
I'll just keep my laptop the way it is unless there's a sale on SODIMMS from a half-decent brand, in which case I'll upgrade just because.
My laptop sits on an Antec cooling pad with a 200mm fan and I actually remember to blast the dust out periodically, either every four months or when I hear the fan ramping up to a higher level than usual (whichever comes first).